Reusing yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyday

Reaction score
I have a one gallon batch of straight mead that I'm about to rack into secondary. Any reason I shouldn't use the lees to start a batch of metheglin? There are no flavors to impart, the initial batch was just honey, water, yeast, nutrient, and acid blend...

Just curious if there's a reason I shouldn't do this. I've never had batches piggybacking like this before. I have plenty of yeast packets, but waste not want not and all that.

Depending on how low the SG is in the first batch, the yeast may or may not have been stressed out due to the lack of nutrients / increasing lack of sugar.. and have shifted from the aerobic duplication to the anaerobic sugar-consumption

It's possible, but it would take a little work.

The only time i think i'd do it is if i got lucky with a 'wild' ferment and ended up with a nice strain, or i was using a "specialty" yeast and didnt have another packet on hand but had another batch ready to go

While you've had no ingredients introduced to make any awkward flavors, yeast themselves create flavors - some more than others - and stressing them out can cause the flavors they create, to come out a bit 'off'

No reason not to isolate the yeast, if even just for practice, but i dunno if i'd pitch them into a new batch - would depend on factors

Sound advice. Especially considering it'll be at least a year before I'd be able to notice any subtle irregularities. I'll just use new yeast...

Is there a guide on the forum for isolating yeast? Practicing it sounds good to me!

Back