Packlab Paklab Kit, which one to buy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
Hi All:

There will be a Wine Road Show at my local Costco in Calgary very soon. I am thinking of stock up some kits to build up a nice inventory so that to buy time for other kits to age properly. I would otherwise drink them way before 9 months. I just started to brew wines for about two months. I am a true newbie.

I called Paklab the other day and learned that there will be a 20 dollar off at the roadshow, which will make the price dirty cheap even for their most expensive kits.

There are 3 lines available at Costco,
  1. vino europa, $74.99 for 2X30 bottles, contains two packs of 7 liter juice
  2. château des terrasses, $64.99, for 1X30 bottles, not sure the juice volume.
  3. onyx, $
74.99, 23 Liter 'juice', for 1X30 bottles
After discount, even the Onyx will be so cheap that per bottle cost is less than $2 :). So the price will not be a concern, that gives me the luxury to buy the best quality. Don't get me wrong, I am still a genuine cheap guy.

I first though to buy the Onyx, since it is 23 liters of 'juice'. Yet after browsed a lot of threads here, I learned that it may not be the case. So my question is, if money is not the concern, which one to buy for quality purpose?

Thanks to everyone.

This is the URL that lists Paklab kit

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product...=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I've been making wine kits for about 9 months now so I'm just a little bit ahead of you but I followed the same train of thought ... make cheap, early drinking kits to age my premium kits without raiding them. I bought several from Costco but only made the Onyx Malbec, the others I sold on Kijiji after tasting the Malbec lol. I won't waste my time on them again, but I did make the Winexpert Trinity Red 10L kit and thought it was a far better cheap alternative for an early drinker.

I've purchased several of the Paklab products, at Costco and direct from Paklab. I've never been dissapointed with any of them. I've not a wine expert and find them very acceptable. I do add sugar to the fruited wines to increase the alcohol content, and I don't rush the process.

For me they are a good variety of wines at a reasonable price. I've made some of the Winexpert and found them not much different. Each to their own tastes.

For an everyday wine have found the 7L kits(VINO ITALIANO or AMORE DIVINO) combined with one of their grape skin packs work great.

I've made 10 kits this way. They drink earlier than any other kits I've made. I like all of them that I've made more than the WE Trinity, which is OK but not as good early. I took my Trinity and cased it up for a year from now.

I have made 2 two of the ANTICA VENDEMMIA, cab and merlot, they seem pretty good and much "thicker" than the 7L kits, but require 12-18 mo aging.

Latest posts

Back