Winemaking question for the "experts"...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjames

Junior
Reaction score
I began a Selection Series White Zifandel two weeks ago without the proper equipment to rack from the primary to the secondary carboy. Therefore my wine sat unmolested after fermentation was complete for over a week before the secondary racking which I accomplished today.

Are there any issues that I need to be aware of and/or be concerned with with this wine? I paid almost $100 for the kit and I would sure hate to screw it up (it's being made for my son's wedding).........
</font>

What was the specific gravity of the wine when you transfered it? That will tell us if you are where you are supposed to be at this point. If you don't have a hydrometer to check the SG, be sure you have an airlock on the carboy you transfered it into. Is it bubbling out the airlock? These few questions will tell us all a lot.

And by the way, glad to have you aboard!

If you are just asking how to transfer with no equipment here goes.

Get about 6' of at least 1/2" ID tubing from you local "box" store. Hopefully you have something to sanitize it like Potassium-Metabisulfite. One way or another this must be done. let the tubing sit in the Potassiun soluition for a few minutes.In a pinch after you do that start a syphon by sucking thru the tube into your carboy

The above is in a PINCH only. You should have all the equipment before starting. If not you take a chance of your wine not turning out OK.

Keeping everything that touches your wine should be sanitized.

Also follow what applemen said.

Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you here. My question: What did you ferment the wine in? Was in in a bucket with the lid on tight with an airlock? Was it in a bucket with the lid set on loose or some other cover? Was it in a carboy with an airlock in place? My opinion is that if you fermented it in a bucket with the lid snapped tight with an airlock in place you will probably be just fine. Even though there isn't active fermentation there should still be a layer of CO2 gas from the fermentation. With no fresh air able to enter it ought to of protected the surface of the wine for that time frame providing you didn't open the lid any after fermentation ended.

I highly dought you will have any issues as long as the wine was protected with the lid on and airlock attached, if you just had a cloth over like some do during fermentation then there could be oxidation issues.

Latest posts

Back