Who has been pruning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pruning can affect your love life.

Is that what causes that.....here I thought it was age! I got all my concord pruned the other day, actually two days, as the second day the wind was blowing so hard, you had to look twice before you squeezed the pruners. Got all my norton and frontenac to go yet, plus get trellis on some that I expanded last year. No rest for the wicked!

What do I spray

What do you spray for?

To prevent any disease from entering the cut before the sap heals over. It is warm up to high 60's here in Georgia!
Phomopsis because I already have buds swelling and on some of my Chambourcin I already have buds breaking hoping a cold spell will slow down this quick growth.
I spray sulfur during dormant season.

Last edited:
I pruned this weekend here in the Yakima Valley and left 5-8 spurs on each side of the cordon arm. The grapes are planted 6 feet or so apart. With 3 to 4 nodes on each spur. 20 vines are in their 4th leafing this year and am waiting to see how the 6 new vines did in their first winter. I think I left to many spurs on each arm of the cordon. The 3-4 nodes was on purpose so if the top two get a late frost kill the bottom 1-2 can bud a week or two later depending on the weather I may cut the spurs back to two nodes in a month or so. We can get a lot of late frosts. Our irrigation gets turned on the first week of April

Last edited:
Finished yesterday, cleaned up and burned the pruning's today. Cleaned up the orchard pruning's also.

Next job is cleaning around the vines and trees and spraying. Hopefully the weather will clear and I can do that tomorrow. This has been a very cold and now wet year. Pouring rain right now but supposed to clear tonight, and be nice for a couple days.

Wait as long as possible with the cold nights below freezing. Have you cut any buds open to see if they are alive? Have you had any bud swell or buds breaking?

Very small bud swell I haven't cut open any buds yet. We still have been freezing or close to it at night but the last two days have been in the sixties

50 today and the snow is gone so I got started pruning. Four rows done :h. Buds are still nice and tight which is good cause still below freezing at night.

I am envious John. I still have two feet of snow and drifts much deeper. I wish I could get out in it but that just makes it too hard for this old battered body of mine. It is getting close to 40 today so that will settle it a bit more.

Have not pruned as of yet but we have had temps 17-20 degrees ABOVE normal for the last week or so. Highs around 75 and lows around freezing or just above. I try and hold off as long as I can as we can have late Spring freezing temps up until mid May. Looks like after Wednesday we will drift back more towards more normal but still a little above normal. Have not had to may artic fronts this Winter, moistly warm pacific fronts with a nice amount of moisture thank goodness. I watered the vines yesterday and inspected them. Still closed up tight (for now).......

Meanwhile, in the deep South, the azaleas are finished blooming, the production of pollen by the oak and pine trees is over, and all but the most stubborn of trees are completely leafed out. Highs in the 70's, lows in the 50's and 60's, April and May will be tolerable from a temperature standpoint. June, July and August are only a stones throw away, and sheer hell with temps and humidity both in the upper 90's............. I HATE SUMMER

Nice gnarly vines there. I love that look. What variety are they?

My wife is fostering a horse at this little ranch. I noticed the vines and just couldn't help myself. There are guide wires are up, but there is little evidence to show the vines were ever properly pruned.

The grapes were in before the current owner purchased the property and does not know the variety. It will be interesting to see what comes from this and without a fence or netting I am not getting my hopes up that we will have usable fruit.

I am envious John. I still have two feet of snow and drifts much deeper. I wish I could get out in it but that just makes it too hard for this old battered body of mine. It is getting close to 40 today so that will settle it a bit more.

I understand, I usually prune, at least a first pass, in February. I just couldn't face the snow. We are supposed to get an inch tonight but since I have a 3 day weekend hopefully I'll get it all done. I do have wine to rack afterall:ft

@grapeman I planted an acre of Marquette last year and am planning on pruning them back to 3-4 buds this year. I read in one of your posts about "heading" the vine to allow laterals to grow onto the top wire to create cordons. I just wanted to verify that this is done later in the same growing season

Latest posts

Back