Original Skeeter Pee Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down to my last 3 bottles of SP.
I have to say out of all the wine I make I seem to drink SP most of all.

And I have yet to have a bottle on a hot day.

Will be starting another batch next week.

I've been searching without any success on this:

I've got a batch of SP going - I just added the sorbate and sugar to prep for bottling. After I dissolved all the sugar, I added a 2 part fining pack to the carboy (kliesol/chitosan) and it clouded the wine up! It's been two days, and it does not appear to be clearing again. It was almost perfectly clear before I racked it - just a bit of a haze left.

Has anyone experienced this?

Rae,
I had the same thing happen. I think it may have been the chocolate covered cherry one, not for sure. Anyway, it was pretty clear and then I added some SuperKleer(I had some left from another batch I was clearing) and it clouded up. Not real bad, but cloudy. It took mine 3-4 weeks before it cleared up again. Only time I have had that happen.

I have heard others say that their wine would cloud up after using a clearing agent, I really can't remember but I think they left it alone and it did clear, just took a little longer than normal.
My last batch of Pee took a while to clear, but I don't remember it getting cloudy from the clearing agent. I'll check my records tonight and find out what agent I used.

I have had that happen a couple of times on my DB... My instructions said to add them in a specific sequence, 24 hours apart. Strangely enough it cleared well on the first of the two parts, the keiselsol, but then the next day when I stirred in the second part (chitosan) the sediment refused to drop out! I hit it with another Keiselsol 2 weeks later and within 48 hours it cleared again completely. Racked it and threw away the extra chitosan.

So I'm making my first batch of skeeter pee and I notice that in step 9, it does not specify at what SG to rack from the primary into the secondary. My initial SG a few days ago was 1.070. My current SG is 1.046. Should I rack now or wait for it to go lower still?

If you are going to rack it to a secondary carboy, wait until it gets at or below 1.010.

Good luck!

I have been racking 2 days after the addition of lemon juice, energizer, & nutrient.

I have Dragon's Blood going right now and am thinking of letting it go dry before racking.

I follow Dave's recipe to a t. That seems to work out good. Let the sg stabilize for 3 days before racking

I am following Dave's recipe to a tea making his version. But, I have made, and am making a version where I start 1 gallon triple berry wine using Jack Keller's blackberry wine recipe, then after 2 days, use that to start a Skeeter Pee.

I am making the 2 right now to see if there is much difference in taste between the versions. Dave's has a lot less work to it. The Skeeter Pee version has gotten great reviews from family and friends.

checked on my pee today and it look clear as can be till i shine a light through it then i see small particles in the wine. I saw this first last night and still today with no change. Should i let it sit a few more days or do you think its safe to back sweeten

Another 5 gallon batch is brewing.
I find that I drink more of this stuff than anything else I make!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Bottled my first batch of skeeter pee last night. Well I guess i should say I bottled what was left of the skeeter pee. Out of 6 gallons only 3000 ml made it into bottles. We keeps stealing "samples"

I seem to run into that same problem with all the wine I make lol Keep having to downsize my carboys

Another 5 gallon batch is brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Nearly 2 weeks into my ferment and I have gone from 1.085 to 1.060
Basement is still cool, so I wrapped in a blanket. SP is tough enough I don't need to make it extra difficult.

Although I have been told that with DB and other wines a slow ferment can be good!

moving along now!
:slp

Nearly 2 weeks into my ferment and I have gone from 1.085 to 1.060
Basement is still cool, so I wrapped in a blanket. SP is tough enough I don't need to make it extra difficult.

Although I have been told that with DB and other wines a slow ferment can be good!

moving along now!
:slp

That sounds like a stalled ferment - My two SP's were .993 in 5 days or less.
If your house is warm, it woudl probably be better to do in the main house , a closet or hallway or whatever and transfer to basement after a week.

That sounds like a stalled ferment - My two SP's were .993 in 5 days or less.
If your house is warm, it woudl probably be better to do in the main house , a closet or hallway or whatever and transfer to basement after a week.

Could be,
but my SP has always taken at least a few weeks.
I already wrapped a blanket on it and I will try adding heat pad to it.

The main house just wont work, have family staying with me for a few days.
And SWMBO is not going to let a 18 people attending a baby shower step around a fermenting bucket!

Could be,
but my SP has always taken at least a few weeks.
I already wrapped a blanket on it and I will try adding heat pad to it.

The main house just wont work, have family staying with me for a few days.
And SWMBO is not going to let a 18 people attending a baby shower step around a fermenting bucket!

Really? taking a few weeks to ferment dry? I never heard of that.

Well carry on!!

---

I don't know, you could disguise it by putting some baby pics on the lid along with a couple of gifts - Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.

Well I officially have stalled.
Of course I did the reading this morning just before leaving for work, so I did not have time to resolve it.

I have the bucket wrapped in a blanket, I will add a heat patch, but I am also going to whip up another yeast starter!

Sounds like a plan!

Well I officially have stalled.
Of course I did the reading this morning just before leaving for work, so I did not have time to resolve it.

I have the bucket wrapped in a blanket, I will add a heat patch, but I am also going to whip up another yeast starter!

Sounds like a plan!
Aha! The usual suspect.

... yeast energizer too.

Latest posts

Back