What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@geek, if you don't like the taste or smell of coffee, the coffee port may not appeal to you. The stock kit has a mild coffee flavor, not overpowering IMO. However, I'm a coffee lover and I expect the next time I make this kit (maybe next year?) I'll use Heather's tweaks to enhance it.

I can’t remember its name but there’s a liquor I tried and liked sometime ago and it has a bit of coffee taste, some people drink it as a dessert drink after a meal.
So I may like the coffee port, who knows.

here's my 2cents

Attachments

• 2 open bag.jpg
    2 open bag.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1 Ingridients.jpg
    1 Ingridients.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3 dump bag in.jpg
    3 dump bag in.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg
    4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg
    5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 6 bentonite.jpg
    6 bentonite.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 6
  • 7 add tannin.jpg
    7 add tannin.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 8 sg reading.jpg
    8 sg reading.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 9 ph reading.jpg
    9 ph reading.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 11 pitch yeast.jpg
    11 pitch yeast.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 5
phase #2.. adding the instant coffee is the most important step along with the tannin's. Then let time work its magic.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 12or Port Racking (1).jpg
    12or Port Racking (1).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 15 - Copy.jpg
    15 - Copy.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20140920_110212516 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20140920_110212516 - Copy.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 6
@joeswine It looks like you added simple syrup to the primary. Is that how you fortified the wine? Was the SG reading in the pic after adding the syrup? Did you add the f-pack just before bottling per instructions? When did you add the instant coffee?

Thank you,

coffee went into the secondary 1 level table spoon, yes added the simple syrup to the primary the ABV was boosted 1 percent once added.,FPACK?.....just created my own enhancements.
This port has won best of shows through out this country,Im proud of it but for it to come around on its own it needs to sit a full year bottled'

Until recently I haven't had a Chenin Blanc in years. A couple of months ago I was picking a Vouvray (Loire Valley, France) to go with a seafood dish. Most are Sauvignon Blanc / Semillon, but I spotted a Chenin Blanc, so I grabbed it. I love 'em all, but Chenin Blanc seems harder to find.

Last month I spotted this one in Total Wine, Vivinio rated it well, so I snagged 3 bottles. Yow! The last one was tart -- this one is mellower and fruity. We'll see how well it goes with Chicken-n-Dumplings. And it's a 2020, so it's very young. I may snag another half case so I can see what another year does for it.

chenin blanc.jpg

This is @heatherd's fault. I was minding my own business, sipping a red after dinner -- my wife & I helped our son move, and we purchased calzones from an independent pizza place on the way home. Anyway, I was quietly reading @Old Corker's post about making a coffee port. I read Heather's notes ... and when my red was finished, I had to open a bottle of coffee port. Totally Heather's fault ...

😂

I'm not much into sweet wines, but I love ports. The RJ Spagnols dessert wines are a hit every single time! Very rich in nose and flavor, and full bodied.

View attachment 77301
Guilty as charged!

@geek, if you don't like the taste or smell of coffee, the coffee port may not appeal to you. The stock kit has a mild coffee flavor, not overpowering IMO. However, I'm a coffee lover and I expect the next time I make this kit (maybe next year?) I'll use Heather's tweaks to enhance it.
Thanks! My addition of the espresso powder, heavy toast oak cubes, brandy for fortifying, and topping up with tawny port seem to be the things that add complexity to an otherwise fairly sweet/simple dessert wine. The caramel one is our second favorite and we didn't much like the black forest one.

@joeswine It looks like you added simple syrup to the primary. Is that how you fortified the wine? Was the SG reading in the pic after adding the syrup? Did you add the f-pack just before bottling per instructions? When did you add the instant coffee?

Thank you,
Not Joe but I added the powder to primary, racked to back to my primary fermenter at bottling time, then added the f-pack and fortified with brandy. I end up with 36 325ml bottles that way.

Latest posts

Back