Conflicting Directions - Same Wine but Different Brand

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to rack out of my secondary into a clean primary to get ready for stabilizing and clearing. The conflict in directions is about degassing. One set says degass first before adding the stabilizing and clearing packs and the other says to degass "after" when it has been stirred and allowed to settle again.

I'm inclined to go with degassing "before" adding the packs. One way or another, I will rack again back into my carboy afterwards and let it sit to rest for another week before doing the final packs for fining and finishing ahead of filtering and bottling.

My experience, which is very limited, is to degass in between those two. Add the stabilizer, degass, then add the clearing agents. I think you would definitely want to degass before adding the clearing agents. The degassing helps with the clearing.

Different brands have different directions, it's a given. Regardless, you will probably need to do more degassing than the instructions seem to call for. My answer...do both.

Steve

Latest posts

Back