No More One Gallon Batches...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
My first wine making venture was the six gallon Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet kit. Which, I'm very pleased to say, I'm drinking as I make this post. It's damn good, even though it's a little low in alcohol.

My second wine making venture was a one gallon batch of Frozen Strawberry wine (using the recipe from Jack Keller's web site, with potential alcohol at 11%). It's still in the secondary.

My third wine making venture (this past weekend) was a one gallon batch of Blueberry wine (using a recipe from Jack Keller's web site, with
potential alcohol at 11%).

And I can say for sure that I will make no more one gallon batches. It's just too much damn work for about 4 bottles of wine. All my future wine making endeavors will be at least three gallon batches.

Boy do I hear you..
There is alsoless room for mistakes as well compared to a 3-6 gallon batches. Making a 3+ gal batch isn't that much more $ but the rewards are 3-6 times more.
Welcome to 6 gallon batches
smiley4.gif

I agree- I have a one gallon batch of concordgrape aging and I think it has been more trouble to work with than the larger batches - and less to look forward to!

In defense of 1 gallon batches.

I know they can be a lot of work for a small yield, but I use them as test batches - my kitchen science experiments. A few I am very glad I made just a gallon and a few I wish I had made more then a gallon. I always get 5 bottles of finished wine because I make enough extra to top off my wine. Yes I agree that they are as much work as the larger batches but I'll keep making them because its fun.
VPC

Good points there VPC - I have not tried making anything too experimental yet but am sure I will do so at some time!

tepe, I hear you there!!!! There is much more "wiggle room" with even 2 gal than 1 gallon.
Live and learn.....
smiley36.gif

Wayne, I am a new wine maker and currently learning and experimenting with fruit wines.

It is an education, for sure. But fun.
smiley4.gif

yes we've all been their thats that learning curve,, we've all drive down that highway

I for one am glad I did not make 6 gallons of tomato wine!
smiley24.gif

I like the 1 gallon batches for the experiments, first time through the recipes I try or create - then on to repeat in the larger size if the 1 gal turns out ok. Works for me because, less invested/less lost on the not so great resulting ones - and I can have multiple batches on the go with less space (and less cost in equipement too!) taken up.

But everything about the downside of 1 gallon batches is true! Same or more work for less output, less volume means the batch is more susceptible "by volume" to the smallest fluctuation or interference factor, and... if it turns out good you have so little of it!!

If I had more room for my 'winery' operations, I'd do more batches bigger too!

OK, at the risk of contradicting my original post, I'm considering starting a one-gallon batch of dandelion (sp?) wine, just to see if I like it.

Latest posts

Back