60 gallons of Borolo juice arrives 9/30. Hee Ha

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left the primaries on the grape skins for 3 weeks (till Nov 2), Removed the skins and strained all 120 gal thru paint strainer bags and blended. I put 63 gal into carboys (8@6gal, 3@5gal).

I put the rest in a 60 gal drum, slightly tilted to reduce air, added oak (2in x 3/8in x 18in - 12 pcs) and put it under air lock. (I was out of carboys)

I moved that into carboys yesterday (14@4gal) It's still very CO2 rich and the airlocks are in the FedEx. Each carboy will get another round of oak.

I've been using the 4 gallon PET water carboys (because they are free) and they work great. If you want to do a kit, buy 2 then use 3 carboys.

4 gal carboys 1.jpg

4 gal carboys 2.jpg

60 gal carboy.jpg

Last edited:
Earlier you were concerned about potential stalling. What did they finish at?

the big carboy (drum) finished @ .994

Carboys on 3/14/2017 at .992

Last edited:
Tried the first bottle of the 2016 Barolo. I bottled 8 gal last week (only 111 gal yet to go). Decanted it to open it up some and it was pretty good. Not nearly as good as it will get, but if I drink some of 2016 now I can stretch out the 2015 I have left.

Waiting to order 60 gal of Chilean stuff.

Slightly tilted drum actually increases surface area exposed to air...:ft Not likely to have any adverse affect for such a short time tho.

Latest posts

Back