New Vineyard Prep

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three years of work has finally led to this
ImageUploadedByWine Making1470434462.514238.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1470434364.090846.jpg

I can't tell if they are Foch mutations or some other grape as the other grapes haven't turned yet. I four vines like this in the mix of the Foch and all are starting to turn. Regardless I'm sure the other Foch are close to turning.

I believe this is the week to get the nets up. Foch from today

ImageUploadedByWine Making1470591550.205697.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1470591570.208513.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1470591596.539444.jpg

I also noticed some Foch leaves that looked like the following. Does anyone notice what type of deficiency this may be?
ImageUploadedByWine Making1470591650.512298.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1470591677.850308.jpg

Looks more like chemical burns to me such as Captan applied above 90 degrees. The close up pictures of the clusters looks like there may be some powdery mildew, but may just be a spray residue. What have you used lately?

I have been rotating captan and sovran and captan an rally. 1lb 5 oz of captan on half acre. The leaf damage is sporadic throughout the vineyard. The grapes were just sprayed the day before so it's the spray residue. I wanted to get a final spray in before netting

ImageUploadedByWine Making1473200265.199329.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1473200283.513289.jpg

Brix 20.8
Ph 3.17

We intend to pick this weekend. Unfortunately we are to get a couple inches of rain the rest of the week. Hoping for the best

The spring season of 2017 is once again upon us. I have been going through and long pruning the vines to help elevate work later this spring. Below are two pictures of TWC trellised 4th leaf Foch. I am not finished pruning these, but I am wondering about the spur growth. Is it okay for the spurs to grow downwards? Should I try getting them to go side to side, and if so how as they appear to want to grow the direction they go. Also, does anyone have recommendations about wrapping the cordon around the wire?

I know there are too many buds currently, which I will be cleaning up at a later time.

Thanks

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

Yes you may wrap the cordon around the wire. First trim the canes back to spurs and you can use the spurs to help hold the cordon in place. If it doesn't want to stay, tie it with an expandable material. Since Foch is fairly hardy you can prune the spurs back to just a couple nodes. When you shorten them up you will notice that they mostly go off to the side a bit. See the picture for an example.

Bordeau Grapes 022.jpg

Marquette grapes are finicky. I had them in Wyoming. The late frosts kill them a lot of years, and they are not big producers. There are other cold climate grapes that produce more. New ones that are awesome are Crimson Perl and Verona. For reds, I would plant them over Marquette. Edelweiss makes a great wine. There is a commercial winery in Nebraska that produces great Edelweiss, Macs Creek in Lexington.

Good luck with your new grapes.
Tom

Marquette grapes are not really finicky. They do break bud early and can be susceptible to late spring freezes, but they can produce very heavy if done correctly. Twenty to thirty pounds per vine is attainable. Here are some pictures mainly of Marquette that the leaves dropped off. We had so many of them we didn't have room for them. I have been growing Marquette for over 10 years now and it has become the best selling cold climate red wine.

Marquette 025.jpg

LMNetRemoved 023.jpg

LMNetRemoved 027.jpg

Marquette 011.jpg

It has been a good spring around the vineyard. The temps keep fluctuating and hopefully we will be able to keep some cool temps in the forecast to delay bud break. This pictures were taken a couple days ago on Marquette. It should be a little while longer as the weather looks to be in the mid 50's for the next 10 days. Here's to another season.

. ImageUploadedByWine Making1492738740.933623.jpg

Latest posts

Back