WineXpert Australian Petit Verdot Wine Making Kit w/ Grape Skins - Selection International

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scram

Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone talking about this one for a while. Mine has been bulk aging for about 6 months and I'll be bottling in the not too distant future... just wondering if you folks have anything much to say about the final product. Thanks:)

I haven't heard anyone talking about this one for a while. Mine has been bulk aging for about 6 months and I'll be bottling in the not too distant future... just wondering if you folks have anything much to say about the final product. Thanks:)

It's been a while since we've opened one of ours. It's 17 months old. I'll have to pop one open in the next day or two and get back to you.

Pitched the yeast on 12/20/13, and bulk aged for 9 months.

It is currently one of my wife's favorites. She calls it the Smokey Red.

I made that one about August last year. Added pressed merlot grape skins. Early tastes were great but only got 5 1/2 gallons out of it and needs to go through a barrel. No more tasting for me [emoji24]

Popped one open last night, along side a WE Argentine Malbec we made in the same month. They're both drinkable at this point, but the Malbec is considerably better.

Brian55 what are the ages of both the PV and Malbec.

Just bottled mine today after 6 months in the carboy... Tastes quite promising. Quite fruity but I assume that should fall back with some time...

I just bottled mine last night, about 6 mos. after starting. The only tweaks were RP15 yeast and 8 g of Tannin FT Rouge in primary. The wine is fine, but I was a bit disappointed. It seemed quite thin to me, and not very flavorful. On the plus side, there was essentially no kit taste at all, and the color was nice and purply (as one would expect).
In direct contrast to the above poster, interestingly, one of my overwhelming impressions was the LACK of fruitiness (compared to essentially all my other kits). My tasting notes commented that the style could be described as Old World (even though it is an Aussie kit!).

It was good, but never got great. We plowed through a lot of it in the 18-24 month range. We only have one bottle left at this point, which is being reserved for the three year mark coming up this fall.
In the WE SI w/skins line, the Argentine Malbec and the Chilean Malbec/Shiraz were both a bit better than the rest.

It would appear that Winexpert think this one reaches maturity just 3 months after bottling (5 months after pitching the yeast). Would anyone care to confirm? I'm thinking Christmas!

http://www.winexpert.com/wine?brand[]=531&keywords=Australian%20Petit%20Verdot%20with%20Grape%20Skins&v=list&p=details

Needs more time than that... Mine is at about 18 months. It's quite good now but needs at least a year of age on it...

Mine was quite good at 6 months and very good at 9 months. I have over 2 cases that are approaching a year old now. Time to sample again.

Any updates on these? I've still got this one in the 'possibilities' pile. Wondering if it might be improved with additional grape skins, oak, etc.(?)

Any updates on these? I've still got this one in the 'possibilities' pile. Wondering if it might be improved with additional grape skins, oak, etc.(?)

I have quite few bottles over 2 years now and IMHO I think it's quite good. Everyone who has tasted it seems to like it too. I added it to my yearly rotation.

Latest posts

Back