WineXpert Winexpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I started a WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit, I was a little apprehensive of the Red Star yeast that is included in this kit, I've only ever used Lalvin yeasts, and I have been extremely happy with them, that said, this kit is fermenting strong, I cannot recall ever having an airlock expel CO2 so fast and steadily!
My office smells real nice!!
The best part about this kit is that I won it in a bet...lol yep, I won it in a bet, some people bet for money, my friends and I make bets for wine making products...LMAO

I think I need to join a 12 step program....lol...

I started a WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel kit, I was a little apprehensive of the Red Star yeast that is included in this kit, I've only ever used Lalvin yeasts, and I have been extremely happy with them, that said, this kit is fermenting strong, I cannot recall ever having an airlock expel CO2 so fast and steadily!
My office smells real nice!!
The best part about this kit is that I won it in a bet...lol yep, I won it in a bet, some people bet for money, my friends and I make bets for wine making products...LMAO

I think I need to join a 12 step program....lol...
I've been thinking about Eclipse kits because of the Barolo (which Spagnols doesn't make).

Just looking at kits and what came with it, how does it compare to an En Primeur kit? skins, oak, etc

I have 2 Eclipse kits in various stages of fermenting and aging, both taste amazing at this point!!!

I started a Eclipse Cabernet Sauvignon last night if it taste anything like it smells i will be a happy wino :)

The Zin is the most aromatic wine to date, it literally has half the house smelling like liquid goodness!

This is very encouraging, Tom. I was wondering how the Eclipse line would be and from all reports it seems a winner. Keep us up to date, please, on the Zinfandel. That is one of my favorite wines.

Not a problem at all, even the Eclipse Zin that my buddy has fermenting is incredibly aromatic, these kits seem to be put together very well.
I tasted the Eclipse Merlot after racking it off the oak cubes and it was very tasty, I cannot wait to taste these wines after they age a bit.

No Oak powder, but it does have Oak Cubes. They use a standard instruction that covers all of their Eclipse Series.

Mine had both oak powder for primary fermentation and oak cubes for secondary fermentation

Eclipse Lodi Zinfandel

I am new to the art but decided I'd go big or go home with the Zin. I am at the first clarification stage. Instructions very clear. Smell is beautiful. I have been tasting it and it keeps getting better. Sure hope to have a great first try. The oak was in the form of cubes added with the second racking. Anyone have any experience with Sparkalloid? I chose this as a vegetarian option over the chitin in the kit. I emailed them and they recommend bentonite as the alternative but it looks like a lot of work.

You should have added bentonite at the very beginning. Did you? I have used Sparkaloid for clarification due to my girlfriend having a shellfish allergy. It works great for me... I have the Zin bulk aging now for 6+ months. Will be racking soon and excited to have a taste. Good luck and keep us posted. If you have any questions there's plenty of friendly and knowledgeable people here. Cheers

I am new to the art but decided I'd go big or go home with the Zin. I am at the first clarification stage. Instructions very clear. Smell is beautiful. I have been tasting it and it keeps getting better. Sure hope to have a great first try. The oak was in the form of cubes added with the second racking. Anyone have any experience with Sparkalloid? I chose this as a vegetarian option over the chitin in the kit. I emailed them and they recommend bentonite as the alternative but it looks like a lot of work.

Another alternative is to add nothing, bulk age in you carboy, and let Mother Nature take care of it for you. You got a great kit, which should age at least a year anyway, so let it drop its sediment and age gracefully in the carboy before you bottle it.

This is by far one of my fave kits. I have about 20 bottles that are a year and half old and it has really matured nicely. I also have two more batches bulk aging.

Love Zin

Thanks for the replys. Yes I used the kit bentonite in the primary. I do like the idea of bulk aging. Of course then I'll need a fresh Carboy for my next batch. How long would you let it go before bottling and would you leave the oak in it? Also what temp range would be best for aging it. Basement is around 60. I've been warming it to about 72 during the secondary.

Thanks for the replys. Yes I used the kit bentonite in the primary. I do like the idea of bulk aging. Of course then I'll need a fresh Carboy for my next batch. How long would you let it go before bottling and would you leave the oak in it? Also what temp range would be best for aging it. Basement is around 60. I've been warming it to about 72 during the secondary.

I generally bulk age my kits for 3-6 months at a temp of 62-65 degrees. Most of my kits gets bottled around the 3-4 month range.

For this kit I followed the instructions other then aging.

One carboy will multiply to six within a year. After two years, you'll have a dozen and need more... If you think you'll be degassing using an electric pump sometime in the future, just get the glass carboys and be done with it.

Jumby I think I'll try 3 months in the carboy for my first try.
Jim I like your math. I better start clearing storage space in the basement now.

Back