Carrot Wine from Costco Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I'm going to make carrot wine. I looked at the recipe on our recipe forum, which is made from actual carrots. I bought some "Organic 100% Carrot Juice" from Costco instead of boiling carrots. The ingredients list on the bottle says only "Organic Carrot Juice". I tasted it, and it tastes like carrot juice that I made in the past with a Jack Lalanne juicer. I'm only going to make a 1 gallon batch. I have a couple of questions. But first my recipe:

juice mix:
carrot juice
10 oz golden raisins
1 lb honey (I love honey!)
2 lb sugar

yeast starter:
yeast
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
carrot juice

Questions:
1. Which yeast to use? I have Montrachet and Lalvin EC-1118
2. I think this recipe has no acid. Should I add acid? If so, should I add acid blend, orange juice, or lemon juice? I have all these ingredients already.
3. Should I put the juice mix together and pitch the yeast starter all at once? Or should I assemble the juice mix, add pectic enzyme for a day, then pitch yeast?
4. Does the term "must" only apply to grapes and/or grape juice, or can it apply to this juice mix also?

carrot juice bottle.jpg

You absolutely should check acid and balance it. Carrots are low in acid, so you may have to add quite a bit unless the juice already has some added.

Also, I hope you have a hydrometer and check the Specific Gravity of the must before adding sugar/honey. That sounds close, but I think I had to add a little more than that.

"Must" can apply to non-grapes. It's what you have before it turns into wine.

Wait a day to add the yeast.

Either of those yeasts will work fine and are pretty good choices.

I made a carrot early on in my winemaking, I did not care for it, but your recipe is different so I hope yours is better! Mine tasted..well..kinda vegetable-y. The honey should help

Please tell me you made this. I stumbled upon an apiary that makes carrot honey and I plan to use this recipe for a mead, foregoing the sugar.

F Y I

I made carrot wine from real carrots. Was not happy with it. Always ck acid.

Like above you need a hydrometer. So, add sugar to starting gravity of 1.085. Check and see if there are any preservatives.

I personally liked the carrot wine I made.. Was a little too strong but I liked the flavor.. I used recipe in 'first steps in wine making' which has some lemon and oranges in it.. It also has some wheat.. Can post if you want.. I used Lalvin 1118 yeast..

Back