WineXpert Winexpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will go back and see how old this wine is. But, tonight's bottle was less than I was hoping for, really. It's just okay. Dark enough, oaky enough. Just not enough black fruit jam and pepper for me.

I'll leave this alone a while and see what happens in 6 months.

I will go back and see how old this wine is. But, tonight's bottle was less than I was hoping for, really. It's just okay. Dark enough, oaky enough. Just not enough black fruit jam and pepper for me.

Well, this is what I posted yesterday!

So, finally, I opened the first bottle of a 2-yr-old batch of WE Eclipse Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel. It is certainly better than a sharp stick in the eye, but I am thinking "meh." It has a bitter note, and it is a bit astringent and sour. (Perhaps a mild case of the same sourness that Jim ( @boatboy24 ) complains of? Let's see if it improves with decanting, shall we?

Tonight, the bitter and sour notes are down a little, but still pretty "meh." I pretty much agree with your description.

The 'issue' with reviewing something like wine is that everyone has different tastes. One person may think a wine is great at 6 months while another person could taste the wine and think it needs another year of aging. And if someone raves enough about a particular kit, it could lead to an expectation in someone else that is difficult to live up to.

My Eclipse Zin is now 18 months old. It is our favorite wine. It was good from the start (after 5 months) bulk ageing and has never had any bitter taste. I have 3 other Eclipse kits bottled and 2 in carboys but the Vin is unique.

Just received this kit today, this will be my second go at it, the last batch was good, but unfortunately it didn't make it past 18 months.

I have this kit in the basement, waiting to be started. Last post on tasting was a year and a half ago. Any final word after 2+ years aging how this one turned out?

I have this kit in the basement, waiting to be started. Last post on tasting was a year and a half ago. Any final word after 2+ years aging how this one turned out?

This wine was much improved at the 2 year mark. The last bottle was a little sad - I wish I had more. [emoji853]

I made a Lodi OVZ from fresh grapes and juice this year that will get the same name. Had I not made the OVZ this year, I’d make the kit again as an EM and let it age a while before digging in to it.

This wine was much improved at the 2 year mark. The last bottle was a little sad - I wish I had more. [emoji853]

I made a Lodi OVZ from fresh grapes and juice this year that will get the same name. Had I not made the OVZ this year, I’d make the kit again as an EM and let it age a while before digging in to it.
Awesome. I plan to do EM as well. Glad to hear it turns out well

I have about 15 bottles left from a kit that I make about 2 years ago. I bulk aged for 1 year but everything else was pretty much by the book. I think it’s better than the Lodi Cab but not as good as the SL Merlot.

My Eclipse OV Zin is about 21 months old now, and opened a bottle last week. I did an extended maceration for about 6 weeks, then bulk aged 1 year. This kit is my favorite Eclipse kit so far. I have a thing for a good Zin or a good Syrah, so I have an obvious bias, but I like it more than SL Merlot. I plan to make both again in the future, though :b

I'm the wine maker and the wife is the wine drinker. I have made at least 30 kits To date this is far and away her favorite. Not only does she love it, everyone we have shared with loves it including one person who is not normally a red wine fan. As far as aging, we don't have a place for long term aging, so everything is consumed young.

I’m not a huge reds fan but do prefer a Old Vine Zin when I do drink one. Think I’m going to have to give this kit a try. Thanks

I’m drinking the old vine zin now and we are really enjoy it. Does anyone recall if this came with double bag of oak chips and cubes?

Last edited:
Mine was by the book and not very oaky so don’t think there was a lot...but it was several years ago.

Not talking about this kit, but for me oak cubes need about 6 weeks to give up the goodness.

Latest posts

Back