Wine Kitz Wine Kit blowing the cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayts

Junior
Reaction score
:?:?:?Ok I am a sort of newbie....I have made 6 different wines from scratch with fresh fruit and 2 kits...I used a Black Raspberry wine kit 6 months ago and went totally by instructions..and actually let it sit a week or 2 longer before bottling.now almost 6 months later I have had 3 bottles blow a cork...2 times the bottles were in a different area...I keep my wine in the cooler part of the basement...63 average in the corner storage....help I don't know what to do.

Seems like it wasn't ready to be bottled. Not sure what you can do now but try to transfer back to carboy to completely finish or add sorbate if you didn't initially?

sorbet when back sweetening, longer time and more splash rackings to release gas, or I use vacuumpumpmaN www.vacuumpumpallinonewinepump.com I think, but is a member on here Steve's handle is vacuumpumpman I use his equipment to rack under vacuum to rack, under vacuum when filtering 1 micron for whites and 5 microns for reds, and I bottle under vacuum as well, Steve sells the vacuum pump package with every thing racking, filtering, and bottling, I get the filters from e-bay, spun polypropylene in boxes if 16 per box for under $25 per box, I keep a box of 1 micron, 1 box of 5 micron and a box of 25 micron to filter pulp out of my ferment barrel into my first carboy, the filters can after use be rinsed out put in a freer bag mark the micron size on the freezer baggie, you can get 8 or 10 uses from each filter, which makes filters super cheap, tell Steve DAWG sent you, also check out his head space eliminators as well, ,, and
Steve's guarantees and support is the best you'll find anywhere,
DAWG::

:?:?:?Ok I am a sort of newbie....I have made 6 different wines from scratch with fresh fruit and 2 kits...I used a Black Raspberry wine kit 6 months ago and went totally by instructions..and actually let it sit a week or 2 longer before bottling.now almost 6 months later I have had 3 bottles blow a cork...2 times the bottles were in a different area...I keep my wine in the cooler part of the basement...63 average in the corner storage....help I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Your wine has CO2 present in the bottles. The only way to get rid of it is to uncork, return to carboy and stir the CO2rap out of it, then re-bottle.

Thanks everyone....I used your idea's and nothing has blown its cork for awhile and I just bottled 30 bottles of pincherry making some adjustments using your all's info and hoping they stay solid....always liked using EC-1118 in wild fruit wines...but think I will change that also.

I agree with the comments here................. You have to degas the wine by stirring it by some means. Using a stirring stick, the long and hard way.
Bye a drill, battery operated I suggest, and use a wand, either plastic or stainless and stir and degas that way, it is quick and easy.
Bye a vacuum pump and degas with that, you can also use the vacuum pump for other things related to wine making.

I agree that the reason for blown corks is that you may not of degassed that particular batch of wine properly and accidentally left co2 in the wine
at bottling time.

I must correct a couple of spelling mistakes I did in a reply.

I typed "bye" in two sentences and I actually meant and should

of typed "buy".

Degasser

I want to buy a degasser stirring stick. Forgive my uneducated plain talk as I don't know what they are called. I seen ones that go on drills. Can someone send me a link on what they use. Thank you for your help.

I use the 3 prong style works well but you have to be careful at the start you don't get a wine volcano. I have since moved on to an all in one vacuum pump, was amazed at the CO2 pulled out of a previously degassed batch that had been aging on oak 3 months.

Latest posts

Back