Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say that is just amazing, i tried the brew belt with my first pee but during fermentation i reached 84 degrees and that scared me and haven't used it since.

I have never had a wine reach that temp using a brew belt. Where did you place it on the bucket or carboy? Next time place it about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up on the vessal. The lower you place it the warmer the must will be.

Hey, Dan. I usually place the belt right near the middle. Gives me a temp right at 75F. Should I be fermenting at a lower temp? My wines seem to be coming out nicely. I defer to you, though. You've been at this much, much longer that me.

100_0768.jpg

I have never had a wine reach that temp using a brew belt. Where did you place it on the bucket or carboy? Next time place it about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up on the vessal. The lower you place it the warmer the must will be.

I have previously fermented 5G in a 6.5G carboy without any issues. But It was my first time using a brewbelt with EC-1118 & first time using it on a Glass Carboy. It was placed right dead center and had the must steady at around 78 and then fermentation started with a BANG -literally-

EC-1118 @ 80+ degrees literally shot through the airlock and sprayed at least 2 feet up :slp

This time I'm using a proper primary bucket. Had to buy a couple new ones because all my other ones have been used for beer.

Doh! :slp I know some folks who use nothing but EC-1118 for all their wines.

Dave, I'm in Parkersburg the days after 4th or July. Hopefully my Dragon Blood will be ready by then. I'm looking forward to a trade.

That is great news! I started a batch of this a week ago (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry). Just transferred to secondary and removed the fruit with an SG of 1.01 as I had some free time today. Hopefully it'll get down below 1 in the next few days, then i'll just mix in the rest and wait for clearing. I too added bentonite originally so based on your thread, I should clear really fast after adding sparkolloid.

Its pretty bitter right now but its mostly the yeasty flavor on top of lemon (as I used the full lemon juice amount). But the smell is amazing. I bet this is gonna be great!

Well I tested today and it was all the way down to .990. Added sparkolloid, kmeta, pot sorbate and racked. Lets see how quickly this baby clears. I started on 6/11 and its now 6/22 so I'm 11 days in. Who knows...I might make 15 days!

Go, JJ! Did you thoroughly degas? I'm pretty anal about degassing. I hate bottle bombs!

Just started a batch of this up. However, I don't remember if I put in 5 gallons or 6 gallons of water. I often lose track of counting... SG is 1.0725 right now. I'm using a 7.9 gallon bucket for primary fermenter and it looks pretty much at the same level as dangerdave's pictures from other threads.

Did I put 6 gallons in? If it turns out I didn't, would it harm anything if I end up adding a gallon in secondary?

Last edited:
Hey, Dan. I usually place the belt right near the middle. Gives me a temp right at 75F. Should I be fermenting at a lower temp? My wines seem to be coming out nicely. I defer to you, though. You've been at this much, much longer that me.

Sorry Dave I missed this post earlier.I also place my brew belts just below the center of the pail. If you have a Harbor Freight around you they sell a laser thermometer on sale for about $29. They're a lot of fun to play around with but it's also interesting getting instant readings at different levels on your fermentation pail with a brew belt on it.

Just started a batch of this up. However, I don't remember if I put in 5 gallons or 6 gallons of water. I often lose track of counting... SG is 1.0725 right now. I'm using a 7.9 gallon bucket for primary fermenter and it looks pretty much at the same level as dangerdave's pictures from other threads.

Did I put 6 gallons in? If it turns out I didn't, would it harm anything if I end up adding a gallon in secondary?

If it looks pretty full, you're probably fine. That's a good starting SG. I wouldn't mess with it now. Let her rip! Are you pitching the yeast on the morrow? :gb

Sorry Dave I missed this post earlier.I also place my brew belts just below the center of the pail. If you have a Harbor Freight around you they sell a laser thermometer on sale for about $29. They're a lot of fun to play around with but it's also interesting getting instant readings at different levels on your fermentation pail with a brew belt on it.

I remember you mentioning these before. I think one of these is on my wish list. Thanks, Dan!

If it looks pretty full, you're probably fine. That's a good starting SG. I wouldn't mess with it now. Let her rip! Are you pitching the yeast on the morrow? :gb
Okay good to know. I lose count so often...lol

Yep. I mixed up the must around 3pm. Will be pitching tomorrow. Can't wait till see how this comes out. :D First time actually making something... Well not really I have some mead going but I started that in carboys.

Go, JJ! Did you thoroughly degas? I'm pretty anal about degassing. I hate bottle bombs!

I degassed but probably not "thoroughly". I used a big spoon, stirred back and forth in circles and got out as much gas as I could without introducing a ton of oxygen. I wish I had one of those tools for my drill but I do not so I have to make due for now.

On a side note, I just checked both the skeeter pee and berry pee and both have a big deposit of sediment at the bottom. The berry pee doesn't even look like the same wine I racked this afternoon. It went from looking more like a smoothie to a fruit punch. Obviously not clear but its only been 8 hours or so.

I can't possibly see how having more would harm anything. ;)

As long as you can replicate the amounts of each ingredient in the correct proportion, it can't hurt to have a little extra to top off with.

On a side note, I just checked both the skeeter pee and berry pee and both have a big deposit of sediment at the bottom. The berry pee doesn't even look like the same wine I racked this afternoon. It went from looking more like a smoothie to a fruit punch. Obviously not clear but its only been 8 hours or so.

Nice! I'm going home this morning to rack and sweeten 12 gallons of Dragon Blood!

Good luck , and good wine! :b

I took my carboy and filled it up with water, then dumped it into my primary, then I used a marker on the outside of the primary to mark the level. This way I know where my fill line is. When I'm starting a batch, I make sure to fill to just above the mark, which gives me a little extra to account for racking loss.

Nice! I'm going home this morning to rack and sweeten 12 gallons of Dragon Blood!

Good luck , and good wine! :b

Ah, so I take it your two experimental batches are complete? That's 18 days so far on those batches. Not to shabby!

SG was finally down to 0.995, so I racked to the carboy, dumped my berries in the back yard (watch for soused birds) and am waiting for the clearing to take place.

EC-1118 @ 80+ degrees literally shot through the airlock and sprayed at least 2 feet up :slp

:slp
Somehow i did it again...Yesterday fermentation started and i was at a perfect 80 Degrees sitting @ 1.076. Today I'm at 92 Degrees @ 1.032. I'm at a loss for words :?:? The only good thing is it's in a bucket and didn't spray everywhere.

I've unplugged my heating belt so i'm hoping the temperature drops slowly and doesn't crash. Does anyone know if EC-1118 produces any off flavors from high temps? or what else I may expect?

Latest posts

Back