Potassium Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris2212

Junior
Reaction score
The last batch of wine I bottloed turned out way too sweet. My plan is to use some of this wine to re-fill my carboys after transferring but I added potassium sorbate to stop further fermentation in that sweet batch. Does the Potassium Sorbate continue to prevent fermentation or does the effect wear off after a certain amount of time?

Is that stuff really needed anyway? There is no visable sign of fermentation when I go to bottle anyway.

Sorbate is a one time addition to your wine. But if you are blending that wine to another wine - IMO - i would make sure that you have sorbated your other wine as well.

Sorbate along with sulfites can prevent a renewed ferment. So if you plan to blend this with another wine, make sure that the new wine is done fermenting before mixing the two. Also, since this "blended batch" will have some edible sugars in it, I would treat the new finished wine with both sorbate and sulfites before blending the two.

Latest posts

Back