i must be stupid???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jicard

Junior
Reaction score
I have a 2 gallon batch of blackberry wine that is supposed to be done and it is very sweet. the airlock has stopped bubbling for about a week. this past tuesday i had a sg reading of 1.050 and today ihad the same sg reading as tuesday's. last night I added a yeast nutrient and some yeast. it bubbled for about 8 hours and now it has stoppoed again. I have only made 1 other batch before this and I don't know if i ruined this batch or not? what should i do?

i'm learning, too, jicard, but i know we'll need the recipe, starting s.g., etc.
when did you start this batch?

Sounds like a possible stuck fermentation, adding yeast is the right thing to do, so I do not think anything is ruined yet. What is the SG reading now? Go ahead and post the recipe as countrygirl suggested.

Here's a couple posts about stuck fermentation to read until the experts come along (Sorry I'm not one yet)

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8399&highlight=stuck+fermentation

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7718&highlight=stuck+fermentation

And no, you are not stupid! Happens to the best of us.

Last edited:
What is the temperature? Give it a good stir and mix some air into it for the yeast to use.
Next thing is adding a yeast starter. EC 1118 is my favorite and is like the Mack Truck of yeasts.

I highly dought its a temp thing at this time of year unless you are in another country but if the temp is below 70* get it up to around 75* and stir well like said above. It would halp immensly if you ave the recipe, starting gravity and yeast used. Did you add both nutrient and energizer or just nutrient so far?

We need info to help for sure.

EVERYONE, keep notes!

Kind of like going to the doctor and saying I dont't feel good.

Doc says what doesnt feel right? "I don't know!"

Hard to help without info.

What is the temperature? Give it a good stir and mix some air into it for the yeast to use.
Next thing is adding a yeast starter. EC 1118 is my favorite and is like the Mack Truck of yeasts.

lol. yeah the 1118 is. that and the 1116 will almost always run the wine dry of sugar. always got some of both on hand "just in case" and for certain wines *thinking of blueberry*.

Latest posts

Back