Beginner Seeking Advice On Welch's Frozen

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cls90

Junior
Reaction score
Hey All,
I got some gear from my brother, and then took it on myself to get a few other supplies, and I believe I'm ready to start my first Bach.
I was hoping someone could point me to a tested recipe for a frozen fruit concentrate. I've seen a few, but they seem to suggest different quantities, etc.

Please and Thank you a ton in advance!

IMG_0513.JPG.jpeg

Thanks for the reply, Bill. I'm browsing the forum now. I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm hoping to find a step by step tutorial on here somewhere!

use 4 cans of concentrate, check your sg, add enough sugar to bring it around 1.080, add some pectic enzyme, and nutrient. check your ph should be between 3.5 and 3.6.

Also if you need to add any sugar to bring up your sg, one cup of sugar will increase sg .0118 per gallon of juice.

I just bottled this one last night, it's about 2 months start to bottle. My SG was 1.100 so it's pretty darn hot so it's going to mellow in the bottle for a while. Not a bad wine, easy and cheap and good to get your feet wet -

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into primary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

Other than a hydrometer, it looks like I still need to get some pectic enzyme. I'm bummed, I thought I had everything I needed. Is there a workaround to keep from having to wait on pectic enzyme to come in the mail?

I don't think you need any pectinase before the fermentation. I don't know how much pectin is in grape concentrate, but even if there are significant amounts it will just cause cloudy wine. So you can add the pectinase later to clear. Pectinase is used with fruit to break down the pectin that holds the cell walls together, making more sugars and other goodies available. The concentrate is already highly processed, so everything in it will be available to the yeast.

As long as you have a hydrometer and get everything clean and sanitized, you're good to go (IMHO).

and I believe I'm ready to start my first Bach.

My First Bach was Invention 14. I know a lot of people go for Invention 1 or Invention 8, which are good pieces, but I just really liked 14. I then went on to Invention 13 for my Second Bach.

My third was Invention 4 and my fourth was invention 8. Then I went on to Rachmaninoff and Chopin.

I haven't kept up with it though, and I can't say that my first Bach has aged all that well. Even with my notes right in front of me, I can't quite get through it without really struggling....

Sorry... Couldn't help myself... :h

Welcome and good luck with the Welch's Wine!

My First Bach was Invention 14. I know a lot of people go for Invention 1 or Invention 8, which are good pieces, but I just really liked 14. I then went on to Invention 13 for my Second Bach.

My third was Invention 4 and my fourth was invention 8. Then I went on to Rachmaninoff and Chopin.

I haven't kept up with it though, and I can't say that my first Bach has aged all that well. Even with my notes right in front of me, I can't quite get through it without really struggling....

Where do you get the recipe for these "wine inventions"?

The only suggestion I'd have is get a bigger carboy because you're gonna want more Welch's (just don't tell JohnT) :)

Apparently they dont sell 100% juice concentrates where i live so i wouldnt know haha. I buy cheap "california white" kits from save on foods to body up my fruit wines

Apparently they dont sell 100% juice concentrates where i live so i wouldnt know haha. I buy cheap "california white" kits from save on foods to body up my fruit wines

That's gotta suck. Speaking of Welch's, it's time for the wife to raid wal mart for my next batch. :r

My walmart only has the 100% grape :( I've seen many posts about other juices but apparently my Wally World sucks. I did find the white grape at another store..

It took me so long to figure out what the heck was going on here. I'll proofread next time lol

Thanks!
I hate to be so difficult, but does anyone of know where I can find a step by step tutorial for this?
I have:
Hydrometer
Red Star (premier blanc) yeast
Campden tablets
Pectic enzyme
Welch's 100% grape juice
And Jugs, Airlocks, siphon, and bottles/corks

Back