WineXpert New Limited Release: Eclipse Nocturnal Wine Making Kit With Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any more post on a certain LHBS in Fl and the thread will be locked. It has nothing to do with "good deals" in any way. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Has anyone done the previous GSM Blends from Winexpert? If so, how did they turn out? Looks like they have a Selection and a World Vineyard.

I found that my reds were very good but not always distinctive. On reflection most of my kits were Special Editions with Cab as the backbone. Great wine but I couldn't match wine to food or mood. To remedy this I went with the Eclipse varietals which tend to be distinctive and and some unique high end blends. I have made the Eclipse Forsa, Bravado and am adding the Nocturnal.

It is a delicate balance because I don't want to stray from what we like but want some diversity. The grape skin packs really help bring out the unique flavours. Also Special Editions are meant to be unique whereas many kits are meant and blended to match a certain style.

I've never actually had even a commercial GSM. So, I picked one up yesterday at Gary's Wine in NJ while I was there.

If I like it, I'd have to consider getting one of these before they're gone.

Where I used to live in NC there was a wine store that sold a particular Grenache/Syrah wine from France. I believe it was mostly Greanche with a little Syrah added. Because of the strict AOC regulations regarding location, this particular wine could not be labeled and sold as a Cotes du Rhone but instead was sold to locals as a table wine (Vin de Pays Rouge). Somehow the wine store owners struck up a relationship with the vintner, and he agreed to let them sell it at their store in NC. The wine was really really good! The particular tasting I went to was the only time I ever saw people race to get the last bottle before the tasting was even over.

I've never actually had even a commercial GSM. So, I picked one up yesterday at Gary's Wine in NJ while I was there.

If I like it, I'd have to consider getting one of these before they're gone.

I noticed last month when I was in Fredericksburg, TX almost every bigger winery had a GSM. Most of them were very good they were all pretty young though ~2016

Has anyone done the previous GSM Blends from Winexpert? If so, how did they turn out? Looks like they have a Selection and a World Vineyard.

Jeremy,

I made the Winexpert Selection Original Vieux Chateau du Roi early last year. It has a medium body and the different grape varieties are evident to my palette when I linger and contemplate the flavors. The wine seemed to mature early at around six months. Its now aged about a year and half in the bottle and it's still very good.

The Nocturnal kits aren't available anymore so I'm glad that I got my order in before the pre-order date expired.:b

Ordered one of these kits a couple days ago! Though I have never tried one of these blends it sounds delicious and unique so I am anxious to get it started. I was told it should be shipping the first week of August!

Has anyone started their kit Nocturnal kit yet? I have a newby question - this is my first Eclipse grapeskin kit and only the fourth I've ever done. I got two yeasts - one a champagne yeast - tossed them both in the must. Is this 'right'?

Has anyone started their kit Nocturnal kit yet? I have a newby question - this is my first Eclipse grapeskin kit and only the fourth I've ever done. I got two yeasts - one a champagne yeast - tossed them both in the must. Is this 'right'?

Generally yes. That's what they'd like you to do. BUT, there are those of us who will only drop the better of the two yeasts (the one that gives you the preferred flavor profile). And, drop the second packet of the ferment sputters with the first.

I'm hoping my LHBS is just receiving these late, or I will have to miss out on this one.

My store just got them a week ago. Mine is on and gets transferred to secondary today.

Started mine today, came with BM 4x4 and ec 1118. Only pitched the BM 4x4.

Started mine today, came with BM 4x4 and ec 1118. Only pitched the BM 4x4.

Good call. I've asked the question of retailers and CSR's for at least one manufacturer - won't the EC1118 negate most/all of the benefit (flavor profile) of the other yeast if I drop them at the same time?

"Well, yes."

If your BM4x4 sputters, drop the hammer with the EC 1118.

Well my LHBS ended up receiving 6 of these today and I just happened to walk in today, picked one up and will start it this weekend!

I noticed mine came with 2 15g packs of bentonite and 2 150ml bags of chitosan/chitine. So I'm wondering if this wine just takes an extra long time to clear or if I got too many.

Thats what mine had, I used both bentonites, may only use one of the chitosan as I bulk age everything.

As per above I would only pitch the BM4x4 unless it gets stuck, mine is just coming up on 24 hrs and the BM4x4 is starting to go.

These kits have very thick juice with the wine skins. My Nocturnal kit is in 2ndary. I bottled my Bravado last week and my Forza is nicely aged.

I really like the standard Eclipse line. Hard to ignore price increases but the quality is going up and store bought is as well.

I have always just followed the directions and bulk age. I have not noticed a chemical taste. I am wondering what the rationale is to leave any chemicals out.

The sorbate is included to stop re-fermentation if the kit was not allowed to ferment to dry, it can also cause an off taste as I make sure that I ferment completely it is not needed. The Chitosan is included to clear the wine for the "8 week claims" some think it also strips out some of the body. Again as I bulk age everything 6 - 12 months the wines clear fine without them.

Latest posts

Back