Lemon-Lime Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montane73

Reaction score
A few winters ago I tried a few mod's to the original recipe. I didn't use a wine must starter from a white wine, I just followed the recipe and used new yeast.

I also substituted one third of the volume of lemon juice concentrate for lime juice concentrate.

I used less sugar for back sweetening so it is a little on the dry side as I prefer.
This was probably the tastiest, most pleasant smelling wine I've ever made that wasn't from a kit!

The lime flavour came through very nice and added to the aroma too.

I make all my Skeeter Pee this way now as anyone I've shared it with just loves it.

I make something similar.
I use Realemon and Realime at a 2:1 ratio. Start with Realemon, SG 1.095, when reaches approx. 1.030 add Realime. Once dry and cleared, rack onto some sort of Old Orchard concentrate, ie: Blueberry/Pomegranate, Strawberry/Kiwi, Cranberry, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Same here, 2 lemon : 1 lime. I, however, use a little more sugar to back-sweeten it, but add a wedge of lime when served.

A few winters ago I tried a few mod's to the original recipe. I didn't use a wine must starter from a white wine, I just followed the recipe and used new yeast.

I also substituted one third of the volume of lemon juice concentrate for lime juice concentrate.

I used less sugar for back sweetening so it is a little on the dry side as I prefer.
This was probably the tastiest, most pleasant smelling wine I've ever made that wasn't from a kit!

The lime flavour came through very nice and added to the aroma too.

I make all my Skeeter Pee this way now as anyone I've shared it with just loves it.

I am going to start a 3 gallon batch of skeeter pee soon (my first)and was going to use the original recipe. However, i was planning to ask about any variances to the recipe that others have learned from to make it better. I love the lime addition and may go with that. Is that enough lemon and lime juice in original recipe to flavor it? Seems little to me.

Also, you said didn't use a slurry and just used new yeast. Thats what i was planning also. How did you add the yeast exactly? did you just pitch it or did you make a starter? Did it start quickly? Thanks!

Montane, that's the way we have been making S K for years. We all love it! NorCal, we too have added Kool Aid once, it did work out well, seemed like it didn't mix well, flakes of Kool Aid seemed to be suspended, probably our bad. Roy

Which type of yeast did you use? I've been trying to find a way without using the slurry, as I currently don't have any.

Update: I started my 3 gallon skeeter pee on Saturday, Feb 18 and pitched the yeast on Monday, Feb 20th. I used EC 1118 and hydrated it with go firm, then added a bit of the must at about 15 min intervals. Within 45 min to an hour the yeast was really rocking so added it to the pee. By that evening it was already slowly fermenting. Next day it was really going. I pretty much followed the original recipe, but decided to use 1/3 lime juice since that got some nice reviews. Been stirring twice daily and keeping the temp around 75.

By Wednesday, Feb 22, sg was already at 1.050 so i added the lime juice, nutrient and energizer. Today the sg is at 1.002-4 so tomorrow i will probably snap on the lid and airlock to let ferment dry. It looks and smells great!

I guess i should stop stirring now?

By the way, i broke down and ordered the all-in-one so i hope i get it in time to rack this batch! :h

Rehydrate

I have made skeeter pee probably 5 or 6 times, never have used a slurry. Always rehydrate the yeast, let it get going really well, never fails.

Also, I added the EC-1118 this morning. How long til I can notice it working?

Last edited:
Just hit 1.050 in my batch today and added the extra nutrient, energizer, and 32 oz RealLime. Bubbling away! :h

Latest posts

Back