What are these bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sampvt

Senior member from Leeds UK.
Reaction score
This wine has been thrashed to within an inch of its life and transferred via vacumme method 5 times now, yet every time I transfer it from vessel to vessel, these dam bubbles appear. What are they.

009.jpg

010.jpg

What is the specific gravity. From here it looks like it is still fermenting. The ferment has to finish before you degas it as while it is still going on it is still producing co2. Arne.

The answer is, it's CO2. As Arne said, if you keep getting it even after multiple vacuum rackings, perhaps it's still producing CO2, i.e., still fermenting. So what say you, what's the SG???

Little more info would be great.

How old is the wine
Hydrometer readings
Could it be going thru Malo ?

Ok the wine was started really heavy with raisins and extra concentrate and the OG was 1.100. It was racked after 9 days and left to ferment out for 15 more days down to .992. I then stabilised it after degassing it on the wine whip and cleared it. I then left it in the carboy to age for 4 weeks and degassed it using the vacuum transfer method. It was tested for gas using the little bottle and thumb test and it was flat.

It doesent taste at all gassy and its really smooth on the mouth. It is one of my best and everyone says its a fantastically robust fruity smooth wine and its abv is around 14.5% so it gets the legs before the head, lol.

Have you racked your wine? I find racking eliminates much of the co2. I rack my wine at least 3 times but I am never in that much of a hurry, my wine stays in the carboy for like a year. I think some age makes it taste SO much better.

If it smells ok, it is likely co2, and I'd just wait it out. If it smells off, you have something bad creating off gas and sulphide it the weapon.

Now the hard question, are you sure your racking setup isn't introducing air? Yes a vacuum can do that. If not, try a careful, nonagitated siphon and see if it still happens. A very small leak can bring in air. Just saying it may not be organic

Latest posts

Back