Peachy Mango

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrrrrr

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everybody.

I just want to say that I have some high hopes for this one.

I started with about 35 lbs of fresh peaches, which after being washed, depitted, and throwing away a few for some questionable insides, came to about 25 lbs. I sliced them up and froze them. After a week, I combined them with 10 lbs of frozen sliced mangos. Just enough sugar to get the SG to 1.085.
I was using my Digital PH meter and it came to about 4.0ish, so i added some tartric acid and the ph came down to about 3.6 but because the must is just fruit, its so mushy and i really dont know how well everything is mixed and im not really trusting the ph tester. I dont want to risk lowering the ph too much so i will revisit it after I move everything to the carboy and I can get a more trustworthy reading.

I added about double the pectin enzine for what I would usually use but still the standard amount of of nuterant and energizer.

For the yeast I felt Cotes des Blanc would be a good choice.

So now for the Questions...

With everything added It came to about just over the 4 gal mark in my Bucket (5 gal bucket). I really wasnt too worried about it when I went to bed yesterday. This morning it was showing plenty of activity but it hadn't really expanded too much. when I came home today and checked on it its right about the top of the container. I'm starting to get worried that when I wake up tomorrow im going to be mopping up a mess on the floor.
Is there anything i could do so the must doesnt get much higher then it is now? i know their are products like firmaid and firmK (or whatever their called) but it might be a couple of days before i could pick anything up.

Any suggestions for keeping this beast under control or any general suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Peach Mango.jpg

My other question that I forgot to ask was when im done with the primary business, whats a good way to keep the solids from going into the carboy.
This is my first fruit wine what I didnt use bags for all my solids. Should I try to pour everything through a colinder? Should I just dump everything into the secondary with some sparkonolid and wait a week for things to settle?

Thanks in advance.

Generally, we try to rack or siphon the liquid, without sucking up the solids.

This will generally not quite get all the liquids. You can can dump the leftover slurry into a taller container, let it settle, and pour the excess liquid off the top. I use 1.5 pint mason jars for this purpose.

I understand the point of siphoning, but the issue that I was having is that top of the must was where most of the thick stuff was settling. I had used all fruit and no water so everything was still pretty soupy with good mix of solids.

What I ended up doing was taking about 3 or 4 cups of the must and pouring it into one of the straining bags. Then i would squeeze the bag into some container and drain it into the carboy. Overall it toke about a little over an hour.

Here are the results. (Like a week later)

Peachy mango.jpg

If I am fermenting where an overflow mite be a problem, I place the primary bucket in a big garbage bag, just pull it around the bottom and maybe just a little up the side. If it does overflow, the cleanup doesn't amount to much. Other than that, use a primary that is big enough so the overflow is not going to be a problem. If doing a bigger batch, try a brute garbage can. If smaller you could try and locate something that would hold about 10 gal or so. Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back