What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This afternoon I got ground leveled for a shed with a built in chicken coop. Chicks arrive this next week, so I have about 5ish weeks to have the coop and run built. I also leveled out the damage the builder's vehicles inflicted on the backyard, well, at least mitigated it. Previously, I stood a good chance of throwing out my back driving over it with the tractor.
Post some progress pics. I've been wanting to do chickens for years, but my list never gets shorter, and building the coop is always bottom of the list. Maybe I just need inspiration.

Post some progress pics. I've been wanting to do chickens for years, but my list never gets shorter, and building the coop is always bottom of the list. Maybe I just need inspiration.
I had put up a photo of the brooder I built earlier in the thread. When I have more than some scraped dirt, I will do so :)

Garage door springs? Unless you have the correct tools AND know how to use them, serious injuries are likely. If he wasn't going to do it, *I* was not, either, and when ours broke, I hired a professional. He did it quickly and easily, but he had the tools and was experienced.
I can now adjust garage door springs because the first time I tried my life was a fraction of an inch from drastically changing. I was able to say "HOLY SH*T!!!" afterwards...and I learned a lot. 🤣

I can now adjust garage door springs because the first time I tried my life was a fraction of an inch from drastically changing. I was able to say "HOLY SH*T!!!" afterwards...and I learned a lot. 🤣
I have done it 3 times. It's sketchy, but it sure is rewarding to be alive after!

I have done it 3 times. It's sketchy, but it sure is rewarding to be alive after!
I'll pass on that. I've done some amazingly stupid things, and have associated with amazingly stupid people, and lived to tell about it. Used up 8 lives of the 9, so I no longer push my luck. ;)

Pitching the yeast!

I think my picture is more appetizing.. 👆🤮

View attachment 100913
I made my starter from a sample of the must. I watered it down about a 1/4 and added nutrient and 5 grams of yeast to each. I figure it can only help to acclimate.
This took off like crazy. Within a few hours I had obvious signs of activity. This morning it is full blown action. I just wanted to make a comment because I know some folks are impatient to get things rolling. I would say with letting the must sit for a day and making a starter I am pretty close to the same position I would be in if I had sprinkled the yeast on the musts on the first day. Letting it sit for a day, I was able to let everything reach the same temperature, and take more accurate OG readings right before pitching.
PXL_20230502_165052103.jpg

My farm shop doors are drums. Oh boy, that is fun. Take a pipe wrench, attach a long pip[e to the handle, stand on a ladder, twist the drum pipe until the spring tightens... THEN, while holding down-pressure on the long pipe wrench extension, reach WAAAAY over and try to screw the clamp shut to hold the tension position.

My farm shop doors are drums. Oh boy, that is fun. Take a pipe wrench, attach a long pip[e to the handle, stand on a ladder, twist the drum pipe until the spring tightens... THEN, while holding down-pressure on the long pipe wrench extension, reach WAAAAY over and try to screw the clamp shut to hold the tension position.
That sounds like about as much fun as I had.

This took off like crazy. Within a few hours I had obvious signs of activity. This morning it is full blown action. I just wanted to make a comment because I know some folks are impatient to get things rolling. I would say with letting the must sit for a day and making a starter I am pretty close to the same position I would be in if I had sprinkled the yeast on the musts on the first day. Letting it sit for a day, I was able to let everything reach the same temperature, and take more accurate OG readings right before pitching.
View attachment 100935
Did anyone else look at this picture and say "OOOOOOOOOOHHHH" and start drooling? 😂

Well, for a "Rolling Rock", a few of us would come over to screw the clamp down for you. :)

Well we're finally done with the RV roof replacement. Approximately 4 weeks I think and $3,000 I think, I kinda lost track of both along the way. Upgraded the antenna, shower skylite and vent covers while I was at it. Scheduled to leave for So. Cal. Monday morning. Wish us luck on maiden voyage attempt #2.

RoofFront.jpgRoofRear.jpg

Fantastic looking job Mike! :try

Well we're finally done with the RV roof replacement. Approximately 4 weeks I think and $3,000 I think, I kinda lost track of both along the way. Upgraded the antenna, shower skylite and vent covers while I was at it. Scheduled to leave for So. Cal. Monday morning. Wish us luck on maiden voyage attempt #2.

View attachment 100960View attachment 100961

View attachment 100960View attachment 100961

Wow... Did you DIY it?

try that again…
I took a “work from home” day today. I needed to recover from an incident this weekend. I was cleaning the barn and a wind gust blew dust in my eye. Not an unusual occurrence so I pressed on. Rinsed is well in the shower a little later but the damage was done. By the time I went to bed Sunday the eye was red and swollen. It was glued shut by morning but felt better. Woke up Tuesday morning and the other eye was red and runny too. Went to the doctor and got some drops but decided to take the day today to get it under control. Hoping it will be clear by the weekend. I’m heading to Nashville for my brother’s annual crawfish boil and Derby Party. I did manage to get a set of bottles ready to bottle a batch Friday morning before heading to the airport. No rest for the wicked.

Last edited:
Back