What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having materials scattered all over was normal for me. Twenty years ago we built our cellar. Yes built -- we had a ranch. We put an addition on the back, with a room below it (land slopes), and the contractor cut a hole in the foundation and took a bobcat under the house and dug out half the crawl space into cellar, which is part workout area, part winery, with a bath and a dedicated double sink / counter.

Having a dedicated area for winemaking is a blessing!

Are you complaining here? Because I don’t see any issues… in fact that’s situation normal at my place 🤣
Complaining? No, but I can see room for improvement.

I likely would have done a basement had I been doing this before we did the house. The only thing I can complain about is the business taking up all my personal shop space. I have a 2x4 ft electric/hydraulic lift table that would be perfect for lifting carboys up to the work area. I have ideas about a 20x20 temperature controlled room with a work area, wine storage, and everything I could want in one place.

Complaining? No, but I still haven't touched the surface on where I am willing to take this hobby.
Having a dedicated area for winemaking is a blessing!

The laundry upgrade and the AIO are the two single changes that make it easy to manage. Without that I'd have much more to complain about. 😄

I mowed the lawn, then put together the electric pole saw I purchased Saturday. It went together easily, but adjusting the chain correctly was a PITA. I was able to limb a few trees that were drooping branches in our faces, and then extended to full length (~9') to hit a couple of higher branches, just to see how it works.

It works, but it's a bit of torque on the shoulders. I also learned I didn't have the chain quite tight enough and it popped off the track. Nothing damaged, thankfully. I'll mess with it again on the weekend.

Last edited:
I ran into the city today for some company supplies. Got half way in and found out the order wasn't complete so I got completely skunked on the purpose for the trip. I was fitting in a bottle buy, though. The other day I asked the cost of a dozen 750ml bottles at the LHBS.

34 bucks! 😲

I found a guy with 14 dozen for $6 a dozen. Cost me $80 for 475 bucks worth of new bottles. All clean and label free. Well worth the fuel I burnt!

He even threw in 3 meads and 3 beers in flip tops for being so nice and taking them all. 🤣

NEW? NEW? Who said anything about new🤣. I paid $6,000 for the Suburban about five years ago… it was the most I ever spent on a truck! My wife gets a new car every decade or so but I doubt my behind will ever be cradled by new truck seat. I just cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money on a vehicle!

And yeah. I know guys who’s truck payment is larger than their house payment… insanity!
I missed all the truck talk. I was too busy buying new ones. 😄

This is just to demonstrate how crazy it has gotten. There have hardly been any heavy duty trucks on the lots in town since covid hit. The first 2020 truck we bought for the company was $87,000 pre pandemic. The second 2020, things were ramping up, That one was $97,000. Three years later the one I just bought was $105,000. I got a deal! :rolleyes:

Other than the fact that there have been no new trucks on the lots, the trade in value for the first truck was $70k! 3 years, over 150,000 km and only $17,000 in depreciation. Add in the fact that the 2024's are coming out s$20,000 more expensive it was a buy now and keep the miles low decision.

The first 2020 had constant DEF issues. one time 4 hours into the woods. Getting limited to 60 km an hour in the middle of nowhere is not cool. After a certain distance you jut get 0 kph. SO, we traded that one in, and mine is now the shop truck so the run around miles can be put on that one instead of the news ones and hopefully that is the end of new trucks for quite some time.

The final straw was the 14 inch display in the dash that now requires a google subscription for any of your features to work. I just want a vehicle, not an entertainment center and I certainly don't need another payment to add to the thing!

This is a long rant, but my mechanic is driving a 2010 3500 Dodge diesel that he paid $50,000 for. 14 years later that same truck is 120,000+.

Explain that one to me! Anyone here making $20k more a year in that time to keep up with this nonsense?

Didn't think so... It's madness!

Last edited:
I missed all the truck talk. I was too busy buying new ones. 😄

This is just to demonstrate how crazy it has gotten. There have hardly been any heavy duty trucks on the lots in town since covid hit. The first 2020 truck we bought for the company was $87,000 pre pandemic. The second 2020, things were ramping up, That one was $97,000. Three years later the one I just bought was $105,000. I got a deal! :rolleyes:

Other than the fact that there have been no new trucks on the lots, the trade in value for the first truck was $70k! 3 years, over 150,000 km and only $17,000 in depreciation. Add in the fact that the 2024's are coming out s$20,000 more expensive it was a buy now and keep the miles low decision.

The first 2020 had constant DEF issues. one time 4 hours into the woods. Getting limited to 60 km an hour in the middle of nowhere is not cool. After a certain distance you jut get 0 kph. SO, we traded that one in, and mine is now the truck shop so the run around miles can be put on that one instead of the news ones and hopefully that is the end of new trucks for quite some time.

The final straw was the 14 inch display in the dash that now requires a google subscription for any of your features to work. I just want a vehicle, not an entertainment center and I certainly don't need another payment to add to the thing!

This is a long rant, but my mechanic is driving a 2010 3500 Dodge diesel that he paid $50,000 for. 14 years later that same truck is 120,000+.

Explain that one to me! Anyone here making $20k more a year in that time to keep up with this nonsense?

Didn't think so... It's madness!
'07 Dodge Ram here. No plan to change.

The first 2020 had constant DEF issues. one time 4 hours into the woods. Getting limited to 60 km an hour in the middle of nowhere is not cool. After a certain distance you jut get 0 kph.

But, to be fair, they let you run the 0 kph for as long as you want....

:)

Today, I am pissing stones through Lil Jim. Ow. 😄 No, really. Ow.

Yesterday, while lying in surgery, I asked the anesthesiologist if he could give me a little something that would make me see Aztec temples and sense the beginning of time. The operating room burst into laughter.

"Sure," he said. "Ketamine."

A nurse said, "I've worked here all this time, and you've never shared? I want some!" 😄

He said, "Don't get mad, I'm not sharing with Jim, either. Have a nice nap, Jim." 😄

Now the left side is yet to go...

Today, I am pissing stones through Lil Jim. Ow. 😄 No, really. Ow.
Sounds like you made it through ok. The aftermath is not fun, but it gets done. Congrats!

Yesterday, while lying in surgery, I asked the anesthesiologist if he could give me a little something that would make me see Aztec temples and sense the beginning of time. The operating room burst into laughter.
Great story!!!

Latest posts

Back