acid blend or not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi docwine

I remember not too long ago when I confused and befuddled myself trying to figure out the ins and outs of PH. It's really hard to talk about because the words just seem so counter indicative. OK. your wine is now at 3.8. It would be much better if it were at say 3.4. So to lower the PH down to 3.4 you need to add acid blend. The more acid blend you add, the lower the number goes. But I would really aim for 3.4.

Hope this helps. Once I kept adding acid blend trying to get the number to go higher. Needless to say I had to blend that batch with a couple others as it was the only way to save it since the PH went way too low.

Pam in cinti

Yep--totally agree with pam. Get the PH down to around 3.4--3.8 is way too high and the wine will be flabby, especially if you backsweeten.

use tartaraic acid. acid belnd is a mix of tartaric, malic and citirs acid. mots fruit already have malic and citris to wine is fine if it is a orange. the resluts are the same lowering of the ph.

Latest posts

Back