Greetings from Illinois

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterloowino

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got into the hobby of making wine from kits. So far I have produced 3 batches and as you might expect, I have had some trials by error. Hopefully I will learn from you-all and become a better wino.

Julie, "wine godess"

thanks for the welcome! I am impressed with your list of accomplishments but I will say, that you are exactly the person I am looking for. I visited a wine making supply store south of St. Louis on Saturday and the owner recommended that I join this sight. I had asked about acquiring Muscadine juice or grapes. He told me that this forum is perfect to learn and find anything that one needs to make wine.

Please tell me how to get Muscadine grapes or juice.

Welcome aboard!

Made a few goofs myself over the past year but thankfully nothing I wasn't able to recover from with a little help from my friends.

To everyone who is new to this

welcome to the group! You came to the right site for anything you would possibly need to get you started and continue your new hobby/addiction. And the one thing I was told when I first started was that wine is forgiving. So don't ever throw anything out. Thought I messed up a batch when I first started and I threw it out, I started from scratch with fresh fruit. The kits are pretty straight forward but you get to a point of second guessing yourself and chances are somebody here has one of the kits in question finished. So ask away!! And one more recommendation is make sure to get a hydrometer and a test jar so that you know where the fermentation is.

Waterloowino

That is correct. The Waterloowino, lives in Waterloo, Illinois. Southern Illinios' version of 'God Country'. Just across the river from St. Louis and about 50 minutes from St. Peters.

To everyone that is new to this

I agree with Peaches9324. My first two batches both had their challenges and I have made adjustments to make them consumable. For instance, my first kit was a 'mist' much like Arbor Mist. I was very disappointed. Way to sweet and way too light bodied. I broke the wine into two batches. I added 1.5 liters of a very dry Cab to 2.5 gallons and it was much better. I added Sangria to the other batch and it was improved as well.

The second kit was again a 'mist' and before clarifiying I added a 1.5 liter bottle of cheap vodka. I also cut the flavor packet (sweetner) in half. This turned out very well and is almost gone.

Never give up, Never give up.
(Jim Valvano)

Thanks for the welcome

I am really glad that I was referred to this site. I now know that if I have any kind of question or problem, there is someone out there that has had a similar problem or can answer my question. This will make the hobby so much more enjoyable.

That is correct. The Waterloowino, lives in Waterloo, Illinois. Southern Illinios' version of 'God Country'. Just across the river from St. Louis and about 50 minutes from St. Peters.

The "office" of the company I work for is in Waterloo. We all work from our homes, most of the time, but for today i was in Waterloo.

Welcome waterloowino
This is a great forum and lots of great people who are willing to share their experiences.
So with that said - just ask away !!

Latest posts

Back