What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old man came over for Father's Day, so I popped open a bottle of 2020 shiraz that was my second vintage. I've formally written it off but you know what, it wasn't too bad. Somehow tasted like a cheap kiwi pinot, which I'll take! No idea what's going on, it was so bland last time 🤔
Give it some time before you dump it, it's only 2 years old...time is your friend, unless the dirty diapers got in there.

And what was your pH and TA when it got done?

I purchased sweet Marsala last week, and made chicken Marsala for dinner today. I enjoyed a glass (well, maybe 2) of Marsala after cleaning up from installing quarter round in the bathroom, and enjoyed a glass (let's not lie, 2!) of Picpoul with dinner. This is currently Mrs. WM81's favorite wine.

picpoul.jpg

Give it some time before you dump it, it's only 2 years old...time is your friend, unless the dirty diapers got in there.

No dirty diapers in this one... but my first vintage was basically liquid band-aid.

I bought cheap pH meters (first was used) both the first and second year and neither of them worked, the second year I just added the same amount of tartaric that the guys who run the winery I got the fruit from did. It's pretty hot here so I'd say it'd be high.

What I finally gleaned from them in the third year was that they have a range of added acid levels depending on the plots, and that it needs to be added pre-fement. I finally bought an expensive meter that actually works, along with finally learning how to properly clean everything the 2021 tastes a lot better.

The one thing I'd change if I started it all over again is to ask more questions of actual winemakers in winter when they're bored. And maybe buy decent equipment the first time.

Definitely not a "bad" wine. LOL

This wine is one of the pride and joy wines of the winemaker and winery owner Richard Funk who hails from Montana originally. Its the only wine I believe that he has custom screen printed labels and not paper so its one of his favorite wines each year to produce.

Its a "right bank" wine with merlot the predominant varietal and then CS, CF, M and PV filling in the rest each year.

With about 40 mins of air it has opened up and keeps getting better with each sip and each bite of Detroit Style pizza from the other night.

Salud!
I gave you a "love" because I am a fly fisherman (tyer as well).

Even if it's a bad wine (which I know it's not), it can't be all that bad with a trout on the label.

We had a Grenache that was undrinkable, but 3 years and it turned a corner and became our favorite... then 2 years later started going downhill fast. Small window but we enjoyed most of them.

Last night enjoyed a bad wine... well, its not really bad, just past it's prime (and may have reacted poorly to conditions during our latest move). It's a white blend that started having a bit of a funk to it, but added a splash of cranberry juice and wow, that really perked it up and made it very enjoyable.

Tonight, hubby and I had some of the leftovers from when I bottled the RJS Cru Specialty Toasted Caramel dessert wine kit on Monday night. It's the 2nd time I have made the kit and I am blown away by how good it is right away! I have put several bottles aside so I can try them in 1, 2, and 3 years.

We drank/gave away all but one bottle of the first kit, bottled earlier this year in 375 ml bottles to get close to 30 from the 3 gallon kit.

Latest posts

Back