What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plan was that I was going to be grilling tons of stuff. First I made a loaf of focaccia at like 450F as described in the Bread Thread. I then tamped down the fire and started some lamb ribs, low and slow. The ribs were marinated before that all day in basil, garlic, fresh oregano, and EVOO, wrapped in foil, and then put on the indirect side of the grill. I also started some 'shrooms with EVOO, toasted sesame oil, and soy on the low-heat grill. Later, I fired the grill back up for the rest of the meal, but the weather changed my plans! A fast-moving storm bore down on us, and I scrambled to get some char on the dishes before I got shut down for the count. I quick-browned some Japanese eggplants (lots of EVOO, garlic, parsely, and fresh oregano), and green beans with onions. I also grilled some potatoes, but I took them out quickly (due to the weather) and finished them in the oven, roasting them in the lamb fat! As I was finishing getting some browning on everything, the skies turned black, wind kicked up, and then the skies opened up into a deluge. I was able to scramble inside with my meal and dignity barely intact. Everything just went into the oven in cast-iron pans at 425F for another 20-30 minutes, and we just called it good!

IMG_0844.JPGIMG_0851.JPG

Grilling was not a possibility tonight. Severe storms, even a derecho strafing Iowa. We actually dodged a bullet, with the storm veering just south of us.

Anyway, this meant that dinner was going to be prepared in the kitchen! Slow-cooked collard greens (some pork bones, hot pepper, onions, garlic) rendered some wonderful pot likker. Eggplant slices with bread crumbs, marjoram, and parmesan. Pinto beans with more pork bones, cilantro, garlic, butter. And baked Pacific cod, marinated in and then cooked in lemon, basil, and EVOO.

All washed down with ho-made 2019 Viognier from Rattlesnake Hills, WA.

IMG_0853.JPGIMG_0854.JPG

Grilling was not a possibility tonight. Severe storms, even a derecho strafing Iowa. We actually dodged a bullet, with the storm veering just south of us.

Anyway, this meant that dinner was going to be prepared in the kitchen! Slow-cooked collard greens (some pork bones, hot pepper, onions, garlic) rendered some wonderful pot likker. Eggplant slices with bread crumbs, marjoram, and parmesan. Pinto beans with more pork bones, cilantro, garlic, butter. And baked Pacific cod, marinated in and then cooked in lemon, basil, and EVOO.

All washed down with ho-made 2019 Viognier from Rattlesnake Hills, WA.

View attachment 64684View attachment 64685
Paul, how was the melanzana prepared? I understand that you coated it but were they baked, broiled or fried?

The plan was that I was going to be grilling tons of stuff. First I made a loaf of focaccia at like 450F as described in the Bread Thread. I then tamped down the fire and started some lamb ribs, low and slow. The ribs were marinated before that all day in basil, garlic, fresh oregano, and EVOO, wrapped in foil, and then put on the indirect side of the grill. I also started some 'shrooms with EVOO, toasted sesame oil, and soy on the low-heat grill. Later, I fired the grill back up for the rest of the meal, but the weather changed my plans! A fast-moving storm bore down on us, and I scrambled to get some char on the dishes before I got shut down for the count. I quick-browned some Japanese eggplants (lots of EVOO, garlic, parsely, and fresh oregano), and green beans with onions. I also grilled some potatoes, but I took them out quickly (due to the weather) and finished them in the oven, roasting them in the lamb fat! As I was finishing getting some browning on everything, the skies turned black, wind kicked up, and then the skies opened up into a deluge. I was able to scramble inside with my meal and dignity barely intact. Everything just went into the oven in cast-iron pans at 425F for another 20-30 minutes, and we just called it good!

View attachment 64604View attachment 64605
That sounds soooo good.

They look great. We do it similarly but instead of butter, we dip them in beaten eggs, then bread crumbs. A quick saute' to firm up the eggs and then finish in the oven like you do. I know Tom Brady shies away from the nightshades, but I can't do without my eggplant and tomatoes.

They look great. We do it similarly but instead of butter, we dip them in beaten eggs, then bread crumbs. A quick saute' to firm up the eggs and then finish in the oven like you do. I know Tom Brady shies away from the nightshades, but I can't do without my eggplant and tomatoes.
And that's why I don't eat at Tom Brady's house!! ;)

Last day of our oldest son visiting, on leave from the Air Force. Gave him a few choices, he went with beef. An eye round roast on some charcoal and pecan wood. Turned out pretty well, but still a little well done for me. Couldn't believe the juices that flowed as I cut it. Was rested for a full 20 minutes!

Served with smashed taters (buttermilk and sour cream added) and steamed baby carrots.

8-14-20_eye-round-1.jpg

8-14-20_eye-round-2.jpg

Made Greek Gyros tonight for a quick and easy Friday pandemic dinner. Used some left over ho-made Tzatiki sauce from last week which had major Vitamin - G throughout. Found an amazing recipe for a Greek marinade for flank steak which was truth in advertising. Got rid of the extra sauce and more of my overload of mater's this time of year. Definitely a worth while trip to flavor town tonight!

IMG_5802.JPGfullsizeoutput_408e.jpegfullsizeoutput_408f.jpegfullsizeoutput_4091.jpeg

Latest posts

Back