What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy St Patrick's Day!!!

I pulled a brisket flat and some trimmings from a brisket I smoked a while back and made a brine last Sunday.
100-4351.jpg

100-4419.jpg

I pulled it out and rinsed it off last night to sit and get happy in the fridge overnight.
100-4420.jpg

I'm glad I left that fat on, it should good for flavor
100-4421.jpg

I used my BBQ rub and added black pepper, coriander, ground mustard, garlic powder, allspice and brown sugar then coated it heavy. It went in the smoker at 9 this morning.
100-4422.jpg

I took the trimmings and fired up the 6 qt pressure cooker for 7 minutes under pressure and 7 minutes releasing.
100-4425.jpg

This came out perfect and it's amazing when it's not saturated with salt that you can actually taste the brisket flavor.
100-4430.jpg

I added an onion to this gang and in the PC they went for another 5 minutes then a natural release
100-4429.jpg

100-4438.jpg

I had to eat two of these test bowls to make it was as good as I thought it was!!!:))
100-4437.jpg

Knowing I would have cabbage left over I pulled a pack of my sausage out of the freezer earlier and started on stuffed cabbage.
100-4431.jpg

Pulled cans to make a sauce and mixed some with cooked rice and the sausage meat.
100-4432.jpg

100-4433.jpg

Started rolling
100-4434.jpg

add gravy and into the oven for a while wrapped in foil
100-4435.jpg

This is gonna be my go to recipe, it's spicy and juicy.
100-4440.jpg

Perfect moisture too
100-4441.jpg

My sister lives next door and already planned on cooking lunch so I brought over these two dishes to eat with oven bbq ribs, homemade Mac-n-Cheese and onion, bell pepper stuffed french bread.

The brisket/pastrami is done and resting. Since I'm full it's gonna be served later after a chill period so I can slice it as thin as possible.

100-4442.jpg

May the luck of the Irish be with you all year!!

My Mom brought some tomatoes back from Florida when they drove back nearly two weeks ago. They were a beautiful red color, but not ripe inside. Sliced one up this morning for my favorite meal, a breakfast BLT. I think I'd actually enjoy coming to work more if I knew one of these was awaiting my arrival every workday morning. Yum!

3-20-19_blt.jpg

Nice Sunday afternoon, so fired up the Weber kettle grill and got an eye round roast going for Sunday dinner. Coated earlier with some salt, pepper and Stubs bbq rub (basically the already used ingredients with some added smoked paprika). Of course once I did that the cloud cover rolled in. Still in the low 60's, can't complain about that in March (plus very little wind). Seared it over the lit charcoal, then popped it in a aluminum pan with some holes poked in the bottom to help shield the roast from direct heat. The idea is to hold it below 122*F as long as possible to let the meat's natural enzymes do their tenderizing magic. Added a few hickory chips for some added flavor. Will pull it off around 132*F and let rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Serving with some cheesy potatoes and a yet to be determined vege.

3-24-19_eye-round-1.jpg

Found a nice Woo-Hoo ribeye steak, USDA Prime. Check out that marbling! Dry-brined and seared hard, then topped with compound butter (fresh thyme, garlic, and lemon). Served with baked 'tater; beet greens (sauteed with onions in EVOO, and seasoned with coriander); and asparagus (broiled, then tossed with sauteed mixed mushrooms [portabella and shiitake], shallots, and garlic, seasoned with ground fennel).

Washed down with a WE Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot, which held its own.

DSCN2450.jpg
DSCN2454.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back