Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom...I have made CC amarone, Heron Bay Amarone, Mosti Megioli amarone kits but never fresh juice

Tom.......Brew and Hobby. Do you know if they are going to get anymore grape packs. Looks like they only have Shiraz left. They are out of Cab. Sav and Merlot

I'm about to start my first Amarone kit. Made lots of kit wines, but was always a little afraid to tackle the 'Amarone challenge'. LOL. When I went by FineVineWines store, I talked to George about which kits made good Amarone, and whaddya know? He said he had recently been getting very positive reviews/comments about Mosti's Vinifera Noble Amarone - yeah, the 10L, cheap one! Which was also on special last month, so it may cost me a grand total of about $2.25/bottle when I am all done.
I will be adding some cheap-o california raisins, mainly to add mouthfeel, a little sugar, and some body, and only incidentally because of the raisins ordinarily used to make Amarone. I plan on bulk-aging it for about 6 months, so it should be ready to bottle around April. I am not sure what yeast is included with the kit, but I assume EC1118, which I would replace with RC212 or what Pumpkinman suggested if I thought it would have a significant effect on a 10L kit (which I doubt).

Shawn, I don't believe that brew and wine hobby will be getting more soon. I'd give M&M wine grape a call and order one of their "allgrape" packs, you literally will get almost double for 5 dollars less.

I have tried the Heron Bay, it was not as full bodied but showed varietal characteristics not as full body as you would expect from a classico. I would have loved to make this again and used a grape pack. The aroma takes your breathe away!

It had a small raisin pack with it. I made it about 4 years ago. I had one about 2 years ago. I think I have 25 left. I need to try it again.

The cc is about 2 years old I tried a half bottle about year ago. Aroma, body and finish stylistic to commercial. Out of the gate very nice, I am sure it is much better now.

MM megioli is bulk aging will do so for a couple of years before bottle. My early impression is this will be a great wine but it will take awhile to get there. This will not be a quick turnaround wine. I plan to bottle and put away for awhile. Cheers

amarone juice

Hello everyone,

I am kind of a newbee at this... Where does one buy fresh juice?

Thanks in advance.

I'm about to start my first Amarone kit. Made lots of kit wines, but was always a little afraid to tackle the 'Amarone challenge'. LOL. When I went by FineVineWines store, I talked to George about which kits made good Amarone, and whaddya know? He said he had recently been getting very positive reviews/comments about Mosti's Vinifera Noble Amarone - yeah, the 10L, cheap one! Which was also on special last month, so it may cost me a grand total of about $2.25/bottle when I am all done.
I will be adding some cheap-o california raisins, mainly to add mouthfeel, a little sugar, and some body, and only incidentally because of the raisins ordinarily used to make Amarone. I plan on bulk-aging it for about 6 months, so it should be ready to bottle around April. I am not sure what yeast is included with the kit, but I assume EC1118, which I would replace with RC212 or what Pumpkinman suggested if I thought it would have a significant effect on a 10L kit (which I doubt).
How about an update Bart.

Not much to report yet (it's still bulk-aging). I have not bottled my MM V-N Amarone kit yet, but will do so in the next couple weeks, and will update again then. I'm not one to sample at different stages, trusting that it will turn out fine regardless (I know, I know, I'm weird that way), so I can't tell you much. It seems to be ok so far, not too thin, which is my biggest pet peeve about kit wines.

Bottled this Amarone in early April - I have had a couple bottles now, but wanted to compare a couple bottles or so before updating The first one was pretty green/young, but it has come along nicely in the short time is has bottle-aged.

This VN kit is a still a little on the thin side for my taste but other people tasting it haven't noticed that as an issue. This was my first time to make this kit, so I don't have a basis for comparison. I think the the raisins add some body and the tannins I added smooth it out somewhat. It has a nice finish, not very long, but adequate. Pretty smooth overall, a pretty good sipping wine by itself.

I guess I expected it to be a little richer, more tannin/structure, but then again it is a cheap kit, highly concentrated. With everything added, I spent about $75 on this wine and it made 29 bottles. I held back just a little bit of water when I started it (to avoid a too-thin taste), but it was pretty close to 23 liters of must.

I have done this kit a couple times. First I followed instructions completely with the oak in secondary. I found this to be too oaky for my taste. This time I put the oak in primary, added a pound of raisins in primary, and 4 tablespoons taking to secondary. Much happier with the results. Fuller body, decent oak, a hint of sweetness. It is about 8 months since pitching yeast so it should improve with age. I'll definitely do that again.

I will be bottling 2 carboys of Amarone in September. This is the first time I made Amarone. I used Italian juice along with a grape pack and a lot of french oak. The last time I racked it I had to have a little taste and it sure was good. A friend of mine has made it from kits and it always turned out very good. I don't know which brand the kits were but I think it cost him about $150.00 per kit.

What would be the brix of the dried grapes? If 30-40% of the water weight is lost in the drying process, I would think the brix would be 34%. That is going to yield a whole lot of alcohol at the end of fermentation, much greater than 15%. I would like to try the making an Amarone style wine, but don't know at what brix to let the grapes dry to.

I have made 4 wine kits over the past year and they have all turned out really well. My question is I'm getting ready to make another En Premiur wine kit Amarone Classico and I'm wondering if I can add a bourbon soaked oak chips during the bulk aging. Has anyone done this before? When do you add the chips, how much and for how long? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have made 4 wine kits over the past year and they have all turned out really well. My question is I'm getting ready to make another En Premiur wine kit Amarone Classico and I'm wondering if I can add a bourbon soaked oak chips during the bulk aging. Has anyone done this before? When do you add the chips, how much and for how long? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Is your kit, if course you can add whatever you want. I think if it were me, I would soak about 3-4 Oz of a med cubes and add them after it got moved to a carboy. Probably leave it in for 4-6 weeks or so. Might go a bit less on the amount.

Not the correct profile dried grapes or rasins in concert with each other heavy tannins, good Abv.around 14/15 %
And pleanty of time to age

Hey...earlier in this thread there was mention of buying grape skins..I poked around a bit and haven't been able to find...I've been pondering the fact that I'm doing juice pails which are lacking skins, so may lack tannins..any insight?

Latest posts

Back