Vineland NJ Wine Competition Aug. 10th 2013

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things to remember

BASIC WINE CHEMISTRY.
Basic Wine Chemistry

Chaptalization is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape developed by the French chemist Jean-Antoine-Claude Chaptal, for whom it was named. Contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wine sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in chaptalized wine cannot be tasted.
Potassium Metabisulfite is a common wine or must additive, where it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as potent antioxidant, protecting both the color, and delicate flavors of wine.
Typical dosage is ¼ tsps. potassium metabisulfite, per 6 gallon bucket of must (yielding roughly 75ppm of SO2) prior to fermentation, and ½ tsps. per 6 gallon bucket (150 ppm of SO2) at bottling.
Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% SO2 (2 tsp potassium metabisulfite per L) solution.
Potassium Sorbate is used to inhibit molds, and yeasts in wine. Also known affectionately as “wine stabilizer”, potassium sorbate produces sorbic acid when added to wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. When a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent refermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabisulfite. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines and some hard cider but may be added to table wines which exhibits difficulty in maintaining clarity after fining.

South jersey wine and food festival

this year so far I was in the HAMMONTON,contest and did well this will be my first attempt at this one the judging is spot on and the affair is big time for this area,this is what ii will be entering,

IMG_20150911_165349399.jpg

IMG_20150911_165412508.jpg

IMG_20150911_165414571.jpg

Mays landing wine contest

this is what i actually entered THE ZIN/POMEGRANATE TOOK A 2ND.( THEY PLACED THIS IN THE RED WINE CLASS) WHILE THE OTHER TWO TOOK 3RD PLACES IN THERE RESPECTIVE CATEGORIES.NOT BAD 3 FOR 3.

IMG_20151002_124124973.jpg

Last edited:
Hammonton wine contest

THEY LOST THE RIBBONS?:tz FOUND THE RIBBONS BUT ONLY SENT ME TWO??????there were 90 assorted reds in the class and about the same amount of whites, these were very creditable judges that much I know.

IMG_20151117_160931031.jpg

Last edited:
2016 Hammonton wine contest

great night for all 250 people who attended here are my results...........................:h

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

new jersey wine contest

Johnt, mays landing is coming around, new jersey state fair,Bacchus I'm going to try and enter them all. This contest was fun and rewarding the Hammonton Rotary is a great organization and does a world of good for the township of Hammonton.:HB

2016 Hammonton wine contest

250 paid attendance :11 professional judges (professionals choice awards) and then the 250 becomes judges all voting on the peoples choice a great night for my super Tuscan breaking though the big red Italian machine, as they say ,the rest is history...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
New jersey armature wine contest

what's the next one coming up in this state ???

This weekend we entered the Glassboro amateur wine Contest,a small venue so for the fun of it I entered the following.seville orange sangria,zinfindel pomegranate and finally coconut pino grigio let's see what happens.traditional wine's are normally enter here .strong reds and high profile White's let's see how things play's out.Next South Jersey food and wine festival last year I took 3rd in the reds,2 an3rd in the white s,but first Glassboro(St.Anthony festival) let's see.��

Glassboro haven't heard from as of yet Maybe that's not a good sign,oh well I didn't invest to much and the contest is basically for reds and whites.we'll move on.

SouthJersey food and wine festival is in books ,best overall wine(best of show) and 1st and 3rd in the red wines will post metals and judges comments when they arrive.
they just arrived today, I stated early on that I would like to stay in my state for competition and I just might. The real reason I'm showing these items off is to just let you know and always keep in mind you need to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, when your playing with your wine .:db the kits we buy and fresh juice in a pail along with fresh fruit and grapes are only the base to work off of be creative .:db you've seem me time and again post the coffee port and my tweaks, but not the Strawberry ,that came from walkers and was made in 2012 still vibrant and full of berry flavor,a good base product and sanitation is the key to all wine making. I'll look around and see what's coming contest wise from north jersey were the competition is at it's strongest...

IMG_20161006_154236968.jpg

IMG_20161006_154257881.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE; so far this year we've won 1 best of show,6 professional judges awards, 4 second place awards and 1 third place. The reason I state this is because this is what you can do when you learn to think out side the box.:db

next North jersey......

Latest posts

Back