CRAP! My Mojito Mosquito is finished!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first venture into skeeter pee is right about 0% sugar and ready for back sweetening and bottling.

Here comes the "oh, crap" moment. I am out out of vessels to rack this into to get rid of the muddled mint and add in one more bottle of Nellie and Joe's and a bunch of sugar to make it palatable.

I need more wine bottles to get my Cabernet out of bulk but I have four cases coming in less than two weeks, so I can't really justify buying any. And I have no idea what I should do because there is no way I will be able to fit the sugar needed even if I was okay with leaving the mint in while I bottle.

Here comes the "question" part. What the hell should I do?!?

Indianapolis. Forgot to mention…the reason for my urgency is that I am trying to put the MojMo into beer bottles then pasteurize them to maintain carbonation and I don't want the yeast to starve before I can get my hooch sweet enough to drink and still carbonate itself.

Head down to one of your wine/liquor stores and see if they have some empties you can have. Bring them home and get them cleaned.

Unfortunately, the only day I am able to get to the LHBS is Sunday. And I totally blanked on the fact I was out of vessels otherwise I would have at least picked up a bucket.

My grandpa is the one who has given most of my equipment. In fact I was about to buy a double lever corker. The night before I went this week I got an email from my grandma saying that my grandpa had four cases of bottles, a floor corker, and a half dozen more carboys. So far the only things I've had to buy since I started three months ago are a hydrometer, beer bottles, a crown capper, an auto-siphon, a bucket, lime juice, a few yeast packs, and a gallon of honey.

I would go this Sunday but…Easter seems to be getting in the way.

Run down to your local Home Depot or whatever big box store you have close. Buy yourself a 20 gal brute trash can. Wash it out, sanatize it, and you will have plenty of room for the rest of your ingredients. You will also be able to use it for future ferments. It is really nice when you decide to do some bigger ferments and everything fits in one container. Arne.

Yes, I did. It is pretty fantastic, but at fifteen percent with almost no sugar in it, right now, it's basically rocket fuel. If I need more mint after back-sweetening I will add a little extract but I like the little bit of bitterness and depth of flavor I am getting from the real mint.

I added mine at about 1.25. But I also want mine to sparkling and wanted to make sure it drew the flavor out before I was ready to bottle cos I will have to get it bottled ASAP.

That is not to say you waited too long. That was just the way I believe it will work out best for me. Hopefully I didn't overdo it with the mint. Only time and sugar will tell.

I figured it out last night. It is taking way longer than I would like, but I have just been basically racking through a tea strainer into pop bottles to remove the mint leaves. Then just adding sugar and a little water to the 2-liter and just pouring into a funnel for each beer bottle. Convenient? No. However, it works and it was a little easier to range in how much sugar to add to each part rather than just take a stab at the whole carboy.

Latest posts

Back