Go-Ferm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
Gonna use Go-Ferm for the first time. I have never had a problem re-hydrating yeast. I kinda treat it like I am making bread. I been baking bread sooo long don't remember being taught. I get water to the right temp, by feel, add some type of sugar and the yeast. Let it sit till it is working and pitch it.

Well now I read about Go-Ferm and just have to use it!

Do I really need it?

RR

I use go ferm as well, I let it sit in 120° stirring it in well, then at 110° I add the yeast, after 10 mins or so, I add some of the must or juice that you are going to ferment, the sugars will act as a food to help the yeast reproduce and multiply, wait 5 mins and pitch the yeast.
Happy fermenting.

I don't use it with kits as EC1118 is pretty tough stuff but I do with fresh grapes for sure and using a more temperamental yeast.

I forgot to thank those that responded. I started a batch of Dried Apricot yesterday and am using Go-Firm now before I pitch the yeast.

RR

Only note is G-Ferm says to mix the yeast and Go-Ferm for a bit before pitching the yeast.
They say it needs that time to work on the cell walls before being exposed to sugar in order to work best.

Back