New guy fro alabama

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbwar155

Junior
Reaction score
Not much of a wine drinker. Probably because I have never really tried. Anything yall would recommend? What do I need to git started making my own?

Welcome! A basic equipment kit from a reputable Local Home Brew Shop (LHBS) and a nice kit of the wine variety you enjoy.

I am not positive, but last I heard, it was illegal to make home made wine in Alabama. I think Alabama is one of the few states that doesn't allow it. Have you checked on this? We would not want you to break the laws and get into trouble.

As far as drinking it, if you have not drank a lot of wine, I recommend staying away from a real dry wine. Dry is the opposite of sweet. I also would stay away from a real sweet wine. So, I first started to enjoy wine drinking a spanish rose. What I drank at that time was Blue nun I think. It is a semi sweet wine as I recall.

If you jump into a cabernet for example, it may be too dry to you at first. I recommend you have a steak or perhaps pasta with a cabernet sauvignon. After that, you very well may really start to enjoy wine. I certainly did.

As far as making it, I recommend reading up on Alabama law. It is a felon to make wine here in Alabama. Now, don't get me wrong, there are unscupulous future felons all over the state, making evil wine and beer. There are great stores in the major cities selling stuff to aid them.

Let me say this, if you like cooking, you will love making wine or beer. This is the place to learn wine making.

If you live near Birmingham, shoot me a private message and if I can be of any assistance, let me know. I am not a revenuer!

Welcome! A basic equipment kit from a reputable Local Home Brew Shop (LHBS) and a nice kit of the wine variety you enjoy.

I am not positive, but last I heard, it was illegal to make home made wine in Alabama. I think Alabama is one of the few states that doesn't allow it. Have you checked on this? We would not want you to break the laws and get into trouble.

It is against the law in Bama and Mississippi. It will come up in Montgomery this year. Lot's of folks are making it here. Of course, there were a lot of folks making moonshine at one time too.:h

Not much of a wine drinker. Probably because I have never really tried. Anything yall would recommend? What do I need to git started making my own?

Welcome to the board, ibwar155. Drinking wine isn't tough to do, just tip the glass after it touches the lips. :r

BTW.... ROLL TIDE! 49-0

We have brew shops here. You can make beer. I've heard you can even make up to 250 gal of shine a year as long as you are not distributing it. My brother makes shine from time to time. To be honest i don't care if its illegal. Heck speeding is illegal and I do it everyday. Plus the cops in my area don't really enforce stuff like that.

olusteebus said:
It is against the law in Bama and Mississippi. It will come up in Montgomery this year. Lot's of folks are making it here. Of course, there were a lot of folks making moonshine at one time too.:h

There is a lot of laws that are not enforce and are out dated here. A buddy of mine showed me ware it still says you can hang someone for messing with your cattle. And one saying its illegal to play dominoes on Tuesday.

We have brew shops here. You can make beer. I've heard you can even make up to 250 gal of shine a year as long as you are not distributing it. My brother makes shine from time to time. To be honest i don't care if its illegal. Heck speeding is illegal and I do it everyday. Plus the cops in my area don't really enforce stuff like that.

Distilling illicit whiskey is against Federal law therefor it is illegal in all states.

Distilling illicit whiskey is against Federal law therefor it is illegal in all states.

Not illegal in Missouri. In the US it is but in Missouri law enforcement will not do anything about it. A federal Officer would have to catch you in the act, and catch you drinking it. Production of ethanol is legal as it's a growing popular fuel, making it to drink is not. So yes it's illegal if you tell everyone it's to drink, or you sell it. Here in Missouri I can cook it in my backyard for the world to see.

On our forum, we are authorized to discuss making beer and wine. It is totally illegal for any discussion to take place concerning anything distilled. So far I think what has been said is "probably" OK. Let's not tempt fate, so please drop the discussion of anything other than wine and beer. This way, we can be assured to stay a forum.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back