Dragon Blood help.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenfloice

Junior
Reaction score
What is the dragons blood recipe for 6 gal carboy. I can't wait to make some cause Ive heard it's quick.

Hey guys. When the recipe calls for six pounds of frozen triple berry is it talking about 6, 16 oz frozen triple berry concentrate like you by to mix juice for your kids or what cause I wouldn't think it would have pulp and seeds in it right. sorry I'm such a newbie.

Allen, I use Wyamn's Triple Berry Blend (frozen fruit---blueberry, blackberry, raspberry) from the freezer section at Walmart.

7990000121_full.jpg

Thanks Dangerous Dave. I can't wait. I've made peach wine that turned out nice. Got mead , muscadine bubbling and dragons blood will be bubbling in a 1/4 of a fortnight. Can't way to taste it.

Allen, I use Wyamn's Triple Berry Blend (frozen fruit---blueberry, blackberry, raspberry) from the freezer section at Walmart.

7990000121_full.jpg

I did try and find it at the walmarts by me and they do not carry this or anything similiar to it. The wife found something similiar at Meijer I believe

thanks dave - I am looking foward to mine already !

My primary is on its second day. Foaming is like magic. Can't wait but sadly that's all that's left for awhile. Oh I retailed my muscadine yesterday and it was not that pleasant.

Dave,
couple of questions. I apologize if these have been addressed so direct me to the proper location if so.
I am very new to all of this, I have my first batch of wine fermenting now(Ocean Spray fruit juice, cranberry/raspberry). I just bought a 1gallon kit to start to make sure I would like it or be able to figure it out.
Dragons Blood looks very good as I like a sweeter wine.
1. I have a 2 gal primary with lid and hole in top, when mixing the initial ingredients, do I put this lid on or a towel or the lid with airlock?
2. I don't have a brew belt, is that necessary or can I use what I have in the kit?
3.Degas? I assume this is stirring alot?
4. Can I cut all ingredients by a sixth to make a gallon batch?

Thank you for your patience. I will try not to be to much of a newbie.

1. I have a 2 gal primary with lid and hole in top, when mixing the initial ingredients, do I put this lid on or a towel or the lid with airlock?
2. I don't have a brew belt, is that necessary or can I use what I have in the kit?
3.Degas? I assume this is stirring alot?
4. Can I cut all ingredients by a sixth to make a gallon batch?

1) you can set the lid on loosely, put the towel on top to cover the hole so no bugs get in
2) no need for the belt if you can keep the temp up in the 70's
3) yes but stir it without creating a vortex you dont want to pull air down into the wine
4) yes

Dend,
thanks for the quick response. I will give it a go as it looks like a good wine to make. Keeping it in the 70's will be tough as we keep the house right at 70 this time of year. I assume it will still work, but just take a bit longer?

yeah you should be fine, that's what i keep my house at, just make sure if you take the primary to the floor put something under it to get it off the hard floor directly, like a mat or something just to get it up a bit to help with heat.

Awesome. It will be sitting on carpet. I am going to get a batch going this weekend. Sorry for the what may be elementary questions, but I am just trying to learn my way into your world.

I made this wine and it was good. A little bitter at first but after a while in the bottle it got a lot better. I will be making another batch in the future and finishing it a little sweeter. Oh and dragon blood will get u loose as a goose quickly.

Oh and dragon blood will get u loose as a goose quickly.

FO SHO!!!:)

might i add for back sweetening if you can get it, try the old orchard berry blend or blueberry pomegranate as an extra addition :br

Thanks, Dend, for getting my back on the Dragon Blood questions! I appreciate it! :b

Thanks to all, I will be hitting you up on the back sweetening. We like a sweeter wine so it sounds like I should back sweeten this. Can't wait to get it going.

On a side note, I put together a batch of Apple Jack wine(I have a thread in recipes) and would like to know about adding clearing agents, ferment stoppers, etc. as the recipe said he didn't use any of that. I thought I read in another thread that you couldn't store it for long periods of time without these chemicals. If you all can answer, great, if not, could you direct me somewhere to read about this sort of thing.
Sorry to go off topic.

Question about Dragon Blood.
1. I didn't notice a campden tablet in the recipe.
2. When backsweetening with the above mentioned juice, do you just add the juice concentrate or mix it with water first.

Just started my first batch of DB tonight, SG 1.074, will be adding yeast tomorrow.

Question about Dragon Blood.
1. I didn't notice a campden tablet in the recipe.

Step 4: When specific gravity (SG) reaches <1.000, do the following:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove friut pack: Discard fruit.
Rack to cleaned and sanitized six gallon carboy
Add 1/4 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite (stir)
Add 3 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (stir)
Degas very thoroughly: I cannot emphasize this enough!
Add Sparkolloid* (or other cleaing agent): *1 tbs in one cup of water simmered for about 30 minutes. Add hot mixture to carboy.
Allow to clear undistrubed for no less than 1 week

Potassium Metabisulfite (K-Meta) same thing as the campden tabs just no binders holding it together so its a powder form and requires 1/4tsp per 6 gallons instead of like one tab per gallon or whatever your tabs say.

2. When backsweetening with the above mentioned juice, do you just add the juice concentrate or mix it with water first.

Just started my first batch of DB tonight, SG 1.074, will be adding yeast tomorrow.

if it were me i would try to add as little water in the end as possible just enough to top up try to add straight juice, the more liquid you add at the end juice or water will dilute ABV, and nobody wants that :dg :)

Latest posts

Back