Cellar Craft Stupid stupid stupid carboy question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJB

Reaction score
After racking my Limited Release CC Pinot Noir into a fresh carboy (for clearing), I accidentally used too small a cork. In the process of inserting the bubble lock the cork squeezed through the neck, right into the carboy full of wine. Dang! I then racked the wine out into a fresh carboy, along with the wooden cubes, etc, to get it away from the cork. But... how the heck do I get the cork out, without breaking the carboy?

The cork is rubber, just big enough to be a slightly tight fit, but small enough to go through the neck, if pushed.

Any advice would be appreciated, carboys run me about $35 each.

thanks

Bob, Maple Valley, WA

BTW - i tasted some of the dregs of the PN - wow! not much chance of that still being around in 12 months' time.

It's easy to get out. On Youtube, there are several videos on how to get a cork out of a wine bottle by using a plastic bag. Same process for a bung and carboy. They have been referenced on here, so search for something like "cork in the bottle" or others.

What you do is insert into the carboy a deflated plastic bag, but hold onto the top of the bag. (Hard part) Turn the carboy upside down so the bung rests at the neck, next to the deflated plastic bag.

Next, blow enough air into the bag to inflate it about 1/2 full. This should surround the bung with one side of the bag, sort of closing it in. Slowly pull the bag out. This will "drag" the bung out of the carboy.

Thanks for the rapid response. I checked it out on youtube... holy cow, that's pure witchcraft, gonna try it when i get home =:O

Bob

Thanks for the rapid response. I checked it out on youtube... holy cow, that's pure witchcraft, gonna try it when i get home =:O

Bob

As you are underneath the carboy, keeping it upside down, take a photo and let us see. LOL Might be amusing to see how you negotiate that one!!! :b

Help is on it's way

This is an old trick to get corks out of bottles. I think some one posted it to you-tube. Here goes, All you will need is a plastic shopping bag. stand the bottle upright, place the bag in half way into the bottle with the open side in. Get it to look like a funnel on the inside of the bottle, now turn the bottle upside down and have the cork land inside of the open end of the bag..... once you have it in the bag keep the bottle upside down and start to pull the bag out with the cork in it........ that's it! good luck

Cork trick worked =:O

Thanks for the tips gang! After watching a couple of youtube vids showing guys getting corks out of wine bottles, I tried it on my 6 gallon carboy. It took a few tries to get the cork more or less axial with the neck of the carboy - then I was able to yank out the plastic bag with the cork tangled inside. I wet the inside of the carboy neck with water, to provide some lubrication. Real hi-tech stuff!

PS - use a quality plastic bag, my observation is that supermarket bags are too flimsy, and they frequently have holes.

Pics attached, hope they are not too big.

cheers and thanks again

Bob, Maple Vly WA

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

Ah-h-h-h, success! great that such a simple trick can get the job done.

.... In the process of inserting the bubble lock the cork squeezed through the neck, right into the carboy full of wine. Dang!....

Insert the airlock into the bung first to avoid this situation.

Back