Getting Alcohol content

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3blindmice

Junior
Reaction score
I took an sg reading before adding yeast and sugar to my must. My instructions say "In order to determine the alcohol content of a wine, you will need two readings, one before fermentation commences and another after it stops". However, I'm not sure if they mean before I add sugar or after?

They actually mean to measure it after you add the sugar and before you pitch the yeast (or soon after you pitch the yeast). That will give you the initial Specific Gravity. After fermentation ends, measure the SG again. Subtract the final from the initial and multiply by 133 to give the the ABV.

An 'alcohol hydrometer' won't work for wine.

it will take me a little time to find it hopefully - but in the meantime you can always use
Vinometer

This 5" vinometer measures the alcohol content in dry wines from 0 to 20%.

Vinometers are used after the fermentation process has completed, comes complete with directions and is very easy to use.

which is the same thing only smaller

thanks steve

MY MISTAKE
I did not read the entire thread only the post of geting alcohol content
my fault -
a vinometer would be used after fermation is complete

Last edited:
Dong the calculations is pretty simple to do but if that is not your preference, check out the calculators that are liste on the site.

Is there any other way to determine alcohol content at this point?

Most hydrometers have a potential alcohol scale as well as the specific gravity scale.
After you add your sugar and stir to make sure it is evenly dissolved, take your first reading to measure the SG. you can also check the potential alcohol scale to see what will be the finished alcohol content assuming that the wine ferments completely dry.
If you're not sure, post your starting SG reading and someone will give you a ballpark figure as to the potential alcohol.

I believe his problem is that he took a SG reading before he added the sugar. He did not take it immediately after adding it so now, he is at, what appears to be some unspecified period later and wants to know what his ABV level will be after it ferments to dry. I believe there is some complex method to determining SG when you don't have your initial SG but I don't know it off hand.

Flem is correct. I did take an sg reading and potential alcohol reading before i added the sugar. I then used a formula to determine how much sugar I needed to add to bring the alcohol level up to 12.5%. The is very dry now so can I assume the alcohol level is 12.5%?

Flem is correct. I did take an sg reading and potential alcohol reading before i added the sugar. I then used a formula to determine how much sugar I needed to add to bring the alcohol level up to 12.5%. The is very dry now so can I assume the alcohol level is 12.5%?
So you would have had a starting sg about 1.094 (1.094 - 1.000 x 133 = 12.5%).

Now you have to wait for fermentation to finish and take the actual final sg reading. Perhaps it will be .995. So that would mean 1.094 - .995 x 133 = 13.17%.

Steve

Latest posts

Back