Initial S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I'm picking up a Cab Sauv. juice bucket tomorrow. I'm going to add a grape skin pack during the primary fermentation. Will the initial S.G. likely go up after I add the grape pack, needing me to add a little more water to the primary? Thanks!!

Don't add water and yea the gravity will rise a bit but not enough to concern yourself with. If you were adding whole grapes then yes it would raise it additionally.

For future reference, the grape pack raised the S.G. from 1.090 to 1.100 during the first 24 hours. That seems pretty significant. Must of been a lot of sugar in those skins.

That is really surprising to me Mike. I have added grape packs and have never had an increase as large as 0.010. Mine are usually in the 0.005 area. Does the additional alcohol cause you a problem? Seems like that would make a nice BIG Cabernet Sauvignon, but it is all a matter of taste and personal preference.

Last edited:
While the additional alcohol doesn't concern me, I decided to bring the S.G. down to 1.096. That additional volume will help me when I rack to secondary, etc.

For future reference, the grape pack raised the S.G. from 1.090 to 1.100 during the first 24 hours. That seems pretty significant. Must of been a lot of sugar in those skins.

I think that is pretty typical, no surprize. It will go up differently with different types/sizes of grape packs.

If this is a Cellar Craft Grape Pack then the 0.010 increase is very normal. There is a lot of sugar in that pack!

Actually, it's what George carries. Don't remember seeing a name on it.
It was a 1.5 litre pack.

Latest posts

Back