What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eating from my garden tonight. Yellow beet curry, fresh fava beans, cucumber and radish salad.

Greg, recipe for yellow beet curry please. I've never heard of such a thing but love yellow beets AND love Curry.
Thanks, Mike

Oh, dear. You know I just cook and don't think about recipes. So, amounts? Who knows. I'll try to estimate it.

4-5 good sized beets cut into cubes
1 large onion chopped
5-6 cloves garlic chopped
1-2 inches of ginger, chopped
3-4 jalapeños, sliced lengthwise in quarters. You can seed if you want or not.
1 tbsp cumin seed
1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
1 tbsp urid dal (optional)
1/2 cup peanuts
2-3 dried red chilis
1 tbsp tumeric
2 tbsp your favorite curry powder
1/4 cup of lemon juice
~2 cups of veggie broth or other liquid of your choice
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
cilantro for garnish

Heat a large heavy pot and add a 2 tbsp oil. Add peanuts followed by mustard, cumin and urid. Fry in oil for a minute or two until they start to toast and the mustard seeds have popped. Add dried chilis and fry for a few seconds. Add jalapeños, garlic, ginger and onions. Fry for a few minutes and then add the beets. Continue stir frying for a few minutes. Add coconut milk, lemon juice and broth to just cover the beets. Stir in peanut butter. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until everything is well cooked together. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro.

Last edited:
I just saw a guy on Youtube using a pan of water for the moist and he also says to maintain the temperature inside the grill.

As far as the esposa goes, yes, that's the key :)

Apple juice in the pan also works well for pork.

Molasses brined chops (and chicken for the little lady), 'confetti' corn (first time using the side burner on the 'new' Genesis), and some angel hair tossed w/ parsley, parm, EVOO and lemon zest.

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5643.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

Haven't posted in awhile so here it is. Grilled Chicken Teriyaki finished with a little "Saigon Sizzle" sauce on top. Served on a bed of Yakisoba noodles with fresh veggies.

That looks incredibly tender. Thanks for making me hungry just before I go to bed!

That'll teach me to not surf at bed-time.

Each year, I go to this 4 day/3 night blues festival. It is such a blast!
I go with a great bunch of folks, camp (or should I say GLAMP), listen to great music, drink too much wine, and eat fantastic food!

Just before the event, my father passed away. Since everyone was counting on me for food and a number of other things, I ended up going for one night only.

We each take turns on the meals. Every one said that I hit it out of the park with my BBQ brazed brisket and awesome tater salad.

For the brisket, I dry rubbed with a Hungarian dry rub mix, and let that sit over night. I then added a bottle of white wine, honey, garlic, worchestershire sauce, and two rings of smoked sausage to the roasting pan. Covered it up tight with tine foil, then put in the oven for 5 hours and 275.

After letting it cool, I placed the brisket/sausage into a large ziplock, and the liquid into a Tupperware container. It then sat in the fridge all ready to go to the camp site.

When ready for dinner, I put the meat and liquid into a double thick roasting pan, then placed that onto the charcoal hibatchi. I simmered it for 30 minutes, then placed all of the meat onto the grill, and slathered with BBQ sauce. It was tender, moist, and simply AWESOME!!!

Here is a pick of it on the grill. Sorry, this is the only one I took.

IMG_20170706_201121630_HDR[1].jpg

Tweaked PM's!

I added fresh baby portobellos and green chile to the Hawaiian and then baby bello's, kalamata olives, chèvre and a fresh home grown jalapeño and fresh basil to the pepperoni and Italian sausage. Washed down really well with a bottle of my 2013 Toscana de Roja (Sangiovese Super Tuscan).

Papa Murphy's? :p

Thought I was going to have all tomorrow afternoon to smoke a chicken and watch it cook. But alas, have a cookout at another families house, which is fine, I have very few friends and most of them are my wife's friends. I'm not very sociable or talkative, just ask anyone who knows me. Anyhow, bought a chicken at Giant (~ 6 lbs) and cleaner 'er up, added some oil and fajita rub. Got the bullet going using the minion method and some pecan wood. Weber's site aims for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, so should be done around 5:30 pm if I run it around 225-250*F. Yard smells nice, trying to smoke my wife off the porch (she's studying at her "normal" spot, the smoker is close to where I'm standing to take the picture, with the wind blowing towards her). No reason to make her move other than for the fun of it, marital bliss at its finest!

7-30-17_chicken.JPG

7-30-17_studying.JPG

About to take it off, it's finished. Barb making some smashed taters and some green beans I picked the other day before the rain. Simple healthy meal, if we don't eat too much. Also had a glass of the Dornfelder as I was racking (before Kmeta) and it is really shaping up to be a nice dark dry red wine (NDDRW).

7-29-17_chicken-2.JPG

Latest posts

Back