Apricots

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smok1

Reaction score
Had an epic harvest off my apricot tree this year, about 500lbs. Unfortunatley the peach doesnt seem to have the same luck this year, still 3 weeks to a month away from harvest but looking like only 150-200lbs of peaches this year, either way i love apricot wine and this years harvest will gain me 350 bottles approx.

Care to share your recipe for the Apricot?

Care to share your recipe for the Apricot?

I use basically the same recipe for all my fruit wines with a few exceptions:
5-6lbs of apricots per gallon, sometimes a bit more, i have probly 300lbs of apricots still, so im doing a few different styles of batches.
Pitt and half them.
I juiced one batch in a juicer.
The other batch i froze and made a mash with boiling water and sugar and pectic enzyme and strained it off, either way will work, i prefer the juicer myself.
Once you have your juice add pectic enzyme, and kmeta(u dont need much, like 1/2tsp per 5 gallons) add your water and sugar to your preffered abv, i go 1.080. Stir often for next 24 hours. I add some citric acid. Pitch your preffered yeast. I use k1-1116 or ec1118 for fruit and i always hydrate it first.

You can adjust the recipe however you want as long as you follow the basic rules in winemaking, no wrong way to do it.

Last edited:
Im starting my peach wine today, after that im going to try another apricot batch but im going to try adding a couple liters of that cheap "california white" kits you can buy at save on foods or safeway.

Im starting my peach wine today, after that im going to try another apricot batch but im going to try adding a couple liters of that cheap "california white" kits you can buy at save on foods or safeway.

I've done that. But I'm not convinced it doesn't add a little KT. I've switched to canned vinifera concentrates.

Alexanders > kit concentrates > Welch's

I made some Apricot wine this year, despite my past experiences. It never cleared, in the time frame I gave it. Now I'm prepared to let is sit over a year if necessary. It is some good wine, but takes time, a long time...

I made some Apricot wine this year, despite my past experiences. It never cleared, in the time frame I gave it. Now I'm prepared to let is sit over a year if necessary. It is some good wine, but takes time, a long time...

I use sparkloid in my fruit wines because i only have room on my rack for 12 6 gallon carboys and i need it to clear up fast to make room for the reds which i let sit for longer in the carboys. Typically only let my fruit wines sit in a carboy for 3-4 months, i sparkloid and then vaccum rack them at least once a month before bottling and theyve all been crystal clear before bottling, i also filter my fruit wines before bottling, right now i have 7 fruit wines aging in 6 gallon carboys.

Green Apple
Cherry
Apricot
Peach
Apricot/peach blend
Rhubarb/strawberry blend
Blueberry

All sitting in carboys taking up precious room. I want to start more reds so the fruit gets a back seat to those, fruit wine can age in a bottle. My other 5 spots are already full with

RJS trio red
LE16 Cab Franc
LE16 Grenache
RJS trio white
LE16 blanc de noir

So i need to use clarifiers to fast track the fruit wines, all my fruit basically ripens all at the same time in summer and my deep freeze isnt big enough to store all that fruit, so i turn it to wine as soon as its ripe

I don't have enough carboys either. I did pick up some Culligan 5gallon plastic water bottles, and they seemed to work just fine after fermentation is complete and clearing is still ongoing. I haven't used them for long long term clearing, but I will be for the Apricot once the active fermentation stops. It's been 2 weeks and it is very very active still.

Latest posts

Back