Prison couch recipe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonohoff

Junior
Reaction score
If i want to make crude alcohol with yeast and cane sugar, what is the recipe...

If i want approximately 8 servings of alcohol aka a pint of 40% vodka, how much of the following do i need...

How much water
How much yeast
How much cane sugar
What volume of container
And How long should I let it ferment?

And what kind of % will it be undistilled?

Will the yeast i found on Amazon thats labeled as follows work?
"Saf Instant Yeast, 1 Pound Pouch"

And yes i know it will not taste good. I just want to try it for proof of concept. Im a geek lol

Thanks in advance!

And I'm sorry for this being in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it!

- Jono

Jono, Hi. Not entirely sure what you are trying to do. One pound of sugar dissolved in water to make 1 gallon will raise the specific gravity of the water by 40 points (1.040). Fully fermented, 40 points of sugar will give you a solution that is 5.25 % ABV. Yeast - beer, bread or wine have different tolerances for both sugar concentrations and for alcohol and you are not going to find any yeast that will go beyond 16-18% at the very most. Wine is typically preferred around 12-14% ABV. Wine can take months if not years to properly age but fermentation (the conversion of sugars to carbon dioxide and alcohol by yeast) can take a few days, sometimes a week, sometimes two. Will taste like crap at that point because the yeast will have produced all kinds of chemicals that the yeast need time to re-absorb.

But if , in fact, you are into distillation and not wine making you are really in the wrong forum. No one here will discuss distillation.

Let's do the math.

8 pints = 16 ounces X 8 = 128 ounces

@ 40% abv = 128 X .4 = 51 ounces of alcohol.

Since 1118 powerhouse yeast will get you to 18% alcohol, lets use that.

51 ounces / .18 = 284 ounces of finished wine (2.2 gallons)

So, without distillation, each member would have to endure 35.5 ounces of your wine @ 18% alcohol to equal 16 ounces at 40%. You would need to make a 3 gallon batch with sugar around 30% to achieve the 18%.

As far as getting from 18% to your 40%, you will need to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back