WineXpert Island Mist Hard Pink Lemonade

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so mine was at .996 at 7 days. I racked to secondary and it is gurgling slightly. Did you leave yours in the secondary for the full 10 days, even with your SG already so low? Is it ok to let it sit for the recommended 10 days before proceeding to the next step?

I'll probably stabilize/clear mine around the 7 day point. If you want to wait 10 days or more days, you'll be just fine. At this point when I proceed depends mostly on my schedule.

Last edited:
I went by my rather poor memory of previous IM kits without checking my log, and added 3 lbs. of sugar plus 1/3 of the fpac, which gave me an OG of 1.090. That's higher than I would have liked for this one. If it finishes the same as the other numbers I've seen, I'm looking at 12.5% abv. I can't think of a good way to cut it at this point without diluting the flavor, so I'll have to mix it with something when drinking, I guess. I'll need to give a gentle disclaimer when handing these out or else I'll find neighbors passed out on their decks if they drink these like a Mike's. :ib :sl

There was some good news. My hydrometer must have been depressed and jumped out of its tube and onto the counter as I was getting it down (somehow not breaking on the counter) and bounced right towards the concrete floor. Somehow it angled itself off to the side and landed directly in the open bucket of sanitizer and bobbed safely back to the surface. I do have a spare, so that is probably why it survived. I'll be taking it to a shrink later.
Finally got around to adding the remaining 2/3 of the fpac and it has quite a kick. Decent taste, but if I had to do it again I'd probably save the whole fpac to the end. I'm considering add a little more sugar to balance the kick, but will wait til it is fully degassed to make that call.

I've got the heating wrap on it and will need to pull some out of the carboy in order to hit it with the drill. Hoping to have everything taken care of and bottled by the middle of next month.

With my Pink Lemonade kit, I saved the whole F-pack for the end, and I am very happy with it. We had a bottle over the 4th of July weekend, and everyone liked it. Maybe it was the hot weather or just the crowd, but the Pink Lemonade (about 3 months old) and Dragon's Blood (about 17 months old) seemed to be favorites.

Did anyone bulk age this at all either before, or after the final f-pak? If so, what did/would you top off with, if needed?

Did anyone rack this off the sediment after the 14 day clearing period before adding the f-pack? The instructions say to add f-pack after 14 days, stir well and bottle. If that's the case you're going to stir up the sediments from clearing. I'm going to rack mine after clearing to get it off the sediment, then add the f-pack. I'll probably let it sit another week after adding the f-pack before bottling

Last edited:
I threw the instructions away, but if they don't mention to rack I assume that's a mistake the made?
I'd definitely rack the sediment and then add f-pack, it wouldn't make not to do it, unless you did not add the clearing agent in the previous step.

So yes to rack.

Also, it looks like they forgot to update the PDF online:

http://www.winexpert.com/pdfs/Island Mist instructions - Feb 2013.pdf

I know they changed the instructions a bit, the ones you get printed inside the kit, the online instructions call for adding the f-pack while at the same time you stabilize and then adding the clearing agent, where the printed instructions call for adding the f-pack AFTER the wine is clear.

I know they changed the instructions a bit, the ones you get printed inside the kit, the online instructions call for adding the f-pack while at the same time you stabilize and then adding the clearing agent, where the printed instructions call for adding the f-pack AFTER the wine is clear.

The old instructions make more sense then the new printed ones. I'll be racking before adding the f-pack and bottling.

Last edited:

Ok, so now I am really confused. I read the online instructions from this link and they add the fpack at the clearing stage, then let it sit for 14 days, then bottle if clear. The printed instructions in my kit say to add the fpack after the 14 day clearing cycle, then bottle.

When should I add the fpack? At the clearing stage, then wait 14 days or so to bottle, or right before bottling? (Regardless, I will not bottle sediment from vigorous stirring, but would rack.) my question is timing of fpack, I have never had one before.
Thanks!

Ok, so now I am really confused. I read the online instructions from this link and they add the fpack at the clearing stage, then let it sit for 14 days, then bottle if clear. The printed instructions in my kit say to add the fpack after the 14 day clearing cycle, then bottle.

When should I add the fpack? At the clearing stage, then wait 14 days or so to bottle, or right before bottling? (Regardless, I will not bottle sediment from vigorous stirring, but would rack.) my question is timing of fpack, I have never had one before.
Thanks!

You can really do it either way, before or after clearing. My personal preference is after, utilizing the fpacks to make up the lost carboy volume from racking off of sediment and lees. Here are my steps:

Move wine to carboy at 1.00

When AF is done, rack off lees(unless kit says to leave them), add sulfite and clearing agents, top up if needed

When totally clear, rack to new carboy, reserve a quart or so for topping, sulfite if needed, add and mix sorbate, add fpack, top up with reserved wine.

If all is stable and clear after a aweek or so, bottle.

Has anyone tweaked this kit and added some lemon concentrate? It doesn't seem to have enough lemon profile for me.

Has anyone tweaked this kit and added some lemon concentrate? It doesn't seem to have enough lemon profile for me.

I agree with that, just added the last of the fpack and it tasted like blueberry cool aide. I used 1/3 of the pack upfront and the rest just today, but it seems to lack lemon flavor. I have not bottled and wondered what I could do to make it more balanced.

I agree with that, just added the last of the fpack and it tasted like blueberry cool aide. I used 1/3 of the pack upfront and the rest just today, but it seems to lack lemon flavor. I have not bottled and wondered what I could do to make it more balanced.

Yours probably has even less flavor then mine due to the upfront f-pack addition. I went ahead and bottled mine as is. It is what it is at this point.

Yours probably has even less flavor then mine due to the upfront f-pack addition. I went ahead and bottled mine as is. It is what it is at this point.

Probably, but I didn't want it too sweet. The blueberry seems overpowering of the lemon. Probably a squeeze of lemon in each glass will help.
Not very impressed at this point, but you are correct....it is what it is.

Opened a bottle of this for dinner last night. The lemon flavor is a lot more prevalent after 3 weeks in the bottle. I have to admit the wife and I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Opened a bottle of this for dinner last night. The lemon flavor is a lot more prevalent after 3 weeks in the bottle. I have to admit the wife and I really enjoyed it.

I've felt that about mine. Seems to be coming through much more now. (I didn't want to say anything earlier and jinx it. :p )

Latest posts

Back