Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > WineXpert Island Mist Hard Pink Lemonade

Old 07-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #131
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 2013 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizajean View Post
Ok, so now I am really confused. I read the online instructions from this link and they add the fpack at the clearing stage, then let it sit for 14 days, then bottle if clear. The printed instructions in my kit say to add the fpack after the 14 day clearing cycle, then bottle.

When should I add the fpack? At the clearing stage, then wait 14 days or so to bottle, or right before bottling? (Regardless, I will not bottle sediment from vigorous stirring, but would rack.) my question is timing of fpack, I have never had one before.
Thanks!
You can really do it either way, before or after clearing. My personal preference is after, utilizing the fpacks to make up the lost carboy volume from racking off of sediment and lees. Here are my steps:

Move wine to carboy at 1.00

When AF is done, rack off lees(unless kit says to leave them), add sulfite and clearing agents, top up if needed

When totally clear, rack to new carboy, reserve a quart or so for topping, sulfite if needed, add and mix sorbate, add fpack, top up with reserved wine.

If all is stable and clear after a aweek or so, bottle.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other - Oscar Ameringer

Elizajean Likes This 
Old 07-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #132
Elizajean

Sep 2016
Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Thank you, this makes sense.

Johnd Likes This