Fruit Fly Trap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I'm making this part of my winemaking equipment.

Ingredients:

1 bowl
apple cider vinegar
2 drops of dishwashing soap

20061016_032536_Fruit_flies_002.jpg

I added a little bit of banana as they seem to like them!

20061016_033430_Fruit_flies_003.jpg

This shows the full effect. These fruit flies were "collected" in about 18 hours.

Joan,
I think that is a great idea, but being a little conservative in some things, I don't think I would use the vinegar- especially that close to my wine. The vinegar is made from the acetobacter that you don't want the fruit flies to carry into the wine. I think a little fruit juice changed daily would do the same thing and give me more peace of mind. I don't even like to have an open vinegar bottle in the same room as my wine(I know a little extreme).

Thanks for the tip.
smiley20.gif

Not to worry! It was only there during picture-taking!! No wine was harmed during the filming of this tip!
smiley2.gif

I just dumped the carcasses and put in a little wine. Same result! =)

I'm sure anything sweet would work, Waldo! The Dawn I used makes it so they only get to visit once!

I think we get them pesky suckers! I hear that some people put a fan in
front of theyre wines and they dont like it but I dont like the extra
on our electic bill.

Joan, what a great idea. I have one of those sticky fly traps hanging in the corner, and I once tried putting a drop or two of apple juice on it to attract the pesky little critters, needless to say it didn't work......
I'm going down right now and trying your method.

GOOD JOB!!!
smiley32.gif

Joan: I owe you a great big thank you!
smiley32.gif

Since you posted this great idea, and I did it, I have not seen one of those pesky little kritters at all!

Thank You!

I prefer to use fruit fly trap like Terro 2500 it's trap work great. Last summer i try to use homemade fruit fly trap, but she is not working.

Latest posts

Back