Adding "new" must to "working" carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowlettr

Western NC Wine Novice
Reaction score
1) I have read that the carboy should be almost full. If I am a gallon low, may I start another batch of the same grapes, let them work for a week or so in the primary until the fermentation stops, then rack them into my existing 2 week old must in may carboy to almost top it off?
2) I did not have a hydrometer when I started a batch and now after 5 days I have one and it reads less than 1.000. There are no bubbling noises or any sign of activity. Is it done fermenting? (Blackberries).

What about my question #2? If my initial reading after 5 days of primary fermenting reads 1.000 or less, is the sugar all gone? Should I add more sugar to make more alcohol, or rack it now into my carboy?

If the sg is stable for a few days in a row then it is done, you really dont want to make it start fermenting again unless you are looking to make more alc from it.

I would not mind increasing the alcohol level to make it a little more potent. Would that be a matter of just adding sugar now, and assuming the yeast is still alive?
I am guessing I should check the SG after adding sugar, then monitor it over time?

Latest posts

Back