Dove season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should be called shotgun shell season....many more shells will perish than doves! :h

Myself, I will be at the Gun Club shooting clays....simply because they actually taste better and are easier to hit too.

I bagged two on Thursday. :)

Their parents have taken up residence in our gazebo and the little ones have been making their way out of late, though not wandering far.

IMG_5821.jpg

Farmer was working cows in the "hot spot" pen we usually hunt. Went up the mountain but almost nothing in the air.

Doves 1 hunters 0

My Dove recipe:

1. Remove breast meat from Dove - wrap in bacon.
2. Grill at 350 for 5 minutes on each side
3. Remove bacon from dove breasts and eat
4. Throw out breast

My inlaws live in South America, and at some points of the year the doves are so bad you can close your eyes, point your shotgun to the sky, and get about 10 of them in one shot.
They taste amazing stewed.

Dove?

Pluck them, gut them, wrap them in bacon, and slow roast them!

There is absolutely nothing better!

John....try the same thing with chicken breasts...much better. marinade the chicken breasts in almost anything...I like soy sauce and five spice chinese powder...freaking awesome.

The best way to serve dove is about ten after nine at night....folks are so blamed hungry they will eat anything, even burnt inner tubes and dove breasts and swear they are good.

Dove is better than goose...specially if there is no burnt inner tube left over.

Once, I did have a dove stew made with peaches that was very good..very small batch, just got a taste. I suspect the peach covered up the dove taste.
Down in Mexico once we had smoked Whitewing jerky that was passable good eating.

They are outstanding targets that keep Remington and Winchester in business making shotgun shells!

Think doves are tough, try ruffed grouse hunting. Doves live in the open.
You got to bust through brush and berry bushes just to have one fly out right at your feet. Generally, they fly right at your hunting partner so neither of you get a shot.
Lots of fun, though.

Another hot spot just showed up. Farmer friend said he just harvested a canola field and it's crawling with doves. 6 am tomorrow. .....

I just hope I can see them through the smoke. Visibility is down to 1 mile or less from forest fires all around us.

Last edited:
I used to hunt doves on our first property. We had a half acre pond and they flocked to that. I sauteed in butter, then simmered 20 min or so. Always tender and tasty. Any big res will go well with dove.

I used to hunt doves on our first property. We had a half acre pond and they flocked to that. I sauteed in butter, then simmered 20 min or so. Always tender and tasty. Any big res will go well with dove.
That's how we always made them. Even the pickiest of eaters cleaned their plates.

For what it's worth:
I metal detect and my pinpointer is very sensitive. Run it over any game to check for shot. It works!

Latest posts

Back