Vacuum press using the allinonewinepump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just tested the vacuum press again this weekend -

Here are my results the glass on the right is done by vacuum press and the glass on the left is done by a ratchet press -
The taste and clarity was unbelievable difference .

We did take the must after vacuum pressing it and run it thru the ratchet press to see how much we lost - it was approx 2 bottles for approx 8 gallons of wine produced. This was the glass on the left which was unpleasant to the taste, in comparison.

I hope to improve on this -

advantages =

Did not have to drag up a very heavy press from the basement

clean up was no more than 5 minutes

easy assemble and disassemble

cost -

disadvantages =

you did lose a bit of wine - but the wine u did loose was more bitter and alot more cloudy

took a bit more time to vacuum press - but more time to drink - considering u turned the pump on and walk away -

Not recommenced for large quantities - this is designed for the home wine maker - that can not afford a press or deal with the hassle of one

20170923_144917.jpg

You say clarity and taste were different. Which one tasted better, left or right one?

Next paragraph you say you recovered two bottle from the ratchet press. What is the volume the a bottle..

You say clarity and taste were different. Which one tasted better, left or right one?

Next paragraph you say you recovered two bottle from the ratchet press. What is the volume the a bottle..

I believe I mentioned -Here are my results the glass on the right is done by vacuum press and the glass on the left is done by a ratchet press -
The taste and clarity was unbelievable difference . Yes the one on the right is much better !!

Typical bottle size of 750 ml

I got mine today and used it on muscadines.

First, muscadine has some thick sludge so the pipe worked good but because of the thickness of the must it didn't work great. On regular grapes or other fruit it will work fantastic.

Now on the the vacuum bag, I tested it by putting 1/2 in the vacuum bag and the other half the way I normally do it and I squeezed until my wife hands hurt. The vacuum press got more juice and the scrap was dryer than mine e that I squeezed out. And after squeezing my bag I tossed it in the vacuum press and got even more out of it.

Steve, you sure got another winner here.

I have another bucket to do tomorrow and expect great results.

We did take the must after vacuum pressing it and run it thru the ratchet press to see how much we lost - it was approx 2 bottles for approx 8 gallons of wine produced. This was the glass on the left which was unpleasant to the taste, in comparison.

I wonder ... although it tastes "unpleasant", I wonder, in small quantities (diluted with the rest of the batch), if it adds body/character to the wine.

The fermentation and aging process can transform a lot of stuff. It may also be a source of tannins. If your finished wine could have used a little more tannin, then it might have benefited from that last little bit.

Latest posts

Back