Wine gift baskets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey1273

Reaction score
With the holidays coming I was planning to make up some kind of basket with say 2 or 3 bottles of wine, mostly wine I made. has anyone here done this before? what other Items do you include in the basket? I was thinking things like a cork screw, a pair of glasses, maybe some food items like nuts, crackers, biscotti or cheeses. pasta and sauces with Italian wines maybe? I am not sure about cheese being the need to refrigerate and possible travel time.

where also are a good places to get baskets fillers and wrap?

Mikey, I think all of your ideas for what to put in the basket are great. As far as baskets are concerned, do you have a "Hobby Lobby" near you? Looks like there is one in Hanover, PA.

Maybe through it a book on how to make your own wine...that would be pretty cool, along with your home made..

Thanks

Glad I had good Ideas I just wish there were some cheese ideas that don't need to be kept constantly refrigerated that I knew of.

Rocky We only have Micheal's and Ben Franklin Craft and hobby stores in York but the Hobby Lobby is in the new Hanover shopping area, I know about where it is, never been in it only know cus its close to the olive Garden I remember seeing it across the car park. Hanover is only 30 minutes away so if there are deals it worth the trip .

Pro trick is tofill basket to rim with newspaper then shreadded tissue. Build goodies on top of all that for a full look. Use shrink wrap and heat gun or good hair drier to keep secure. Dark chocolate goes great with many dry red wines. Apples, pears and citrus look good in baskets and crackers fill space. Peppermints add holiday theme. I used to owne several Hallmarks in another life.

Where are all of the Wisconsin people? Haven't been up there in years, but the cheese shops just have their cheese sitting out on a self.

Does all cheese need to be refrigerated?

Published 03/26/2009 05:46 AM | Updated 05/31/2013 11:42 AM
Does all cheese need to be refrigerated?

Soft cheeses such as cream cheese, cottage cheese, shredded cheeses, and goat cheese must be refrigerated for safety. As a general rule, hard cheeses such as cheddar, processed cheeses (American), and both block and grated Parmesan do not require refrigeration for safety, but they will last longer if kept refrigerated.

REFRIGERATOR. Approximate storage times are: (1) Hard cheeses (block): 6 months, unopened packages; 3 to 4 weeks after opening. Shredded hard cheeses: 1 month after opening. (2) Soft cheeses: 1 week; cream cheese, 2 weeks.

FREEZER. Ricotta, cottage, and cream cheeses do not freeze well. Other cheeses may be frozen for 6 months.

Yes, try the harder cheeses for gifts. Make sure it won't be left out longer than a day. And by all means, go with Wisconsin cheese. Sartori is my absolute favorite.

I'm also doing a gift basket this year. I will be including homemade spaghetti sauce with pasta (along with homemade wine of course). I was thinking of delivering the gifts in a wine bag of some sort. Your local wine shop might have some gift baskets or decorative boxes. Let us know what you decide.

where also are a good places to get baskets fillers and wrap?
We used to do gift baskets back when I ran an LHBS. Usually as draw prizes for the store. We found dollar type stores to be excellent sources for baskets, filler, and wrap. Also some garden centres carry this kind of thing, especially in the run up to Christmas. We never added wine (legality), or cheese (shelf life concerns) to these baskets.

Steve

Yes, try the harder cheeses for gifts. Make sure it won't be left out longer than a day. And by all means, go with Wisconsin cheese. Sartori is my absolute favorite.

+1 on the Sartori. Their Montamore (or the "reserve" version, Bella Vitano) is a semi-hard cheese that tastes like Parmesan and Gruyere had a love child. It is awesome.

Last edited:
We did gift baskets for family one year with wine. We went with a strawberry theme. Strawberry wine, home made strawberry jam, a strawberry scented candle and a few other items. It was a hit.

This is what I do for both sides of the family (plus some special friends) at Christmas!

They tend to be very large baskets as I'll include several bottles of wine, a bottle of port, various types of my canning: mustards, fruit butters, jams, flavoured vinegars, pickels - oh, and don't forget the Habanero-Apricot Jelly! Sometimes I'll throw in some of my hand-wrapped beeswax candles too.

They always go over very well. I'll usually wrap a sturdy box with Christmas paper, fill the bottom with fluffy packing from the dollar store, and wrap with clear plastic (also dollar store). The overall effect is of a basket that is worth several hundred dollars if you had purchased it - but which in reality only cost me maybe $15 including the wrapping.

As I said, they go over really well with everyone who's received one.

This is what I do for both sides of the family (plus some special friends) at Christmas!

They tend to be very large baskets as I'll include several bottles of wine, a bottle of port, various types of my canning: mustards, fruit butters, jams, flavoured vinegars, pickles - oh, and don't forget the Habanero-Apricot Jelly! Sometimes I'll throw in some of my hand-wrapped beeswax candles too.

Ummmm, are you looking to adopt? Or perhaps you have some unmarried sisters? :D

Ya think? :) Sounds generous and yummy!

They tend to be very large baskets as I'll include several bottles of wine, a bottle of port, various types of my canning: mustards, fruit butters, jams, flavoured vinegars, pickels - oh, and don't forget the Habanero-Apricot Jelly! Sometimes I'll throw in some of my hand-wrapped beeswax candles too.

They always go over very well. I'll usually wrap a sturdy box with Christmas paper, fill the bottom with fluffy packing from the dollar store, and wrap with clear plastic (also dollar store). The overall effect is of a basket that is worth several hundred dollars if you had purchased it - but which in reality only cost me maybe $15 including the wrapping.

I betcha it would be worth several hundred dollars ifin you included "the cost of labor". :<

Last edited:
Hey Paul, you're welcome to join the clan anytime. Unfortunately, my brother is the only unmarried one! Lol.

Bkisel: Part of what we are heading towards is 'gift' giving that is more in line with experiences and time given. We've found that now with having children, our houses are constantly cluttered with stuff that we never use, and neither do the kids. We switched to giving things that are usable (like the wine and canning), or experiential - like having aunty and uncle take the kids out for a special day.

Giving the gift of your time is the most precious of all - it's something you can never get back, so we're learning to spend it wisely. And as I mentioned - the prezzies always go over well!

Totally agree with giving things that will be used and appreciated. I used to stress out on shopping for the holidays. Now not so much. Several years ago I switched to giving wine from local winery or restaurant gift cards for adults and for my 2 neices and nephew I started a 529 college account that I put money in for Christmas and birthdays. The idea to do that for the kids came to me when I seen how many toys they had others had given and how they just tore the stuff up. Now I will get them a game they can all play togther and we usually end up playing it before they go home just so they have a gift to open. Having a savings for collge will be very nice for them one day.

My other brother and his wife are both chefs they make a basket of sauces and other food items . That goes over well same for wine and gift cards for dining out...

This year being the first year I made my own wines I want to try a basket and you all have shared some great ideas...

Thanks

Bellavitano

+1 on the Sartori. Their Montamore (or the "reserve" version, Bella Vitano) is a semi-hard cheese that tastes like Parmesan and Gruyere had a love child. It is awesome.

We had a Sartori Bellavitano cheese tasting last night. The gold is still my favorite. It paired well with chianti reserva.

Do you have a TJ Maxx, Ross, Tuesday Morning or Marshall's around?
You can find all sorts of items there.

I went to TJ Maxx this weekend and got 6 or 7 wine gift bags made out of burlap for a a couple of bucks apiece.

You can also find cheap wineglasses, baskets, and all manner of odd gourmet type foods.

You can use packaged bread cheese in any gift basket, and the best comes form wisconsin...
If you have not had bread cheese which originates in finland, you are missing out...It is out of this world.... warmed with some raspberry it is addictive.

Latest posts

Back