Mosti Mondiale Very Bitter After Taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
Tasted a castel de papa tonight. it is very young, in fact its not actually done yet. Its being oaked with an oak spiral right now. The reason I tatsed it is that it seemed like it was dropping alot of sediment, I added not clarifiers at this point. Anyways, it has a very bitter after taste. Something that I have never tasted before in any of the kits I have made in the past. Only think I did different to this kit that I never did to any other is that I added Tan Cor Grand Cru, but this is not a tannin like taste, its bitter. Anyone ever expierence this before? I am a mental case about washing and sanatizing so I didnt think that could be it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Geez so many things.

Its not even done.......
Oak spiral......
Tan Cor.....

Could be just still green.
Could be too much oak.
Could be too much Tan Cor.

You have changed quite a bit here so it could be hard to pin it down.

How much Tan'Cor did you add? See my previous thread on dosages and maybe you over did it?

An oak spiral will also release a fair amount of oak tannins too (oak tannins are typically way more bitter than grape tannin).

But in all honesty, at this point anything that even remotely resembles wine at this stage is purely coincidence. There is so much chemically going on with a must during fermentation and up to 6 months after, that it's impossible to tell what that bitterness is without a full lab analysis.

Im going to leave it as is for the next 6 weeks. I will then rack and let it sit for the next 6 months and hope for the best. I know the mistake I made, and I learned from it, I guess thats the important thing. Glad it was on a smaller less expensive kit. I was trying to make a 10L kit better then what they usually are. From now on the smallest kit I will do are the Grand Cru Intrnl. kits. Lesson well learned and hopefully it will turn out ok. By the way Dean it was 2 tsp of the GC and 1 oak spiral.

2 tsp! Whew, Johnny, I'm pretty sure that will be a major part of your bitterness in this new wine.

See this thread:

http://forum.finevinewines.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9025

about 1.5 tsp is the upper limit for 6 gallons of wine for Tan'Cor Grand Cru. This puts you close to the 30mg/l rating, and is a heavy tannin addition. I'd say you just gave this wine enough structure to last 8 to 10 years.

I'm sure it will become nothing less than fabulous, but at that addition rate, it might take 3 to 4 years. I'm a big fan of Chateauneuf du Pape! I follow what the Rhone rangers are doing in Cali all the time too. It's not a heavily tannic wine to start with, so this will take some time to mellow. 6 weeks is nowhere near enough. Re-visit this wine in 1 year to see how it is doing.

I just got to this post this AM and totally agree with Dean. What you taste is a slight oveerdose of the TanCor tannins. You say tannins aren't bitter - well that is actually part of it's description:
How do Tannins Taste?

Tannins are often described as bitter, puckery, drying, astringent or akin to the sensation of rubbing a swab of cotton down your tongue.The flavor of tannin has also been described as the flavor of steeped black tea. (Which also has a high tannin content.)
Whenever you make an addition, go small, taste or sample and adjust more only then. It should mellow- eventually, but extreme patience will be needed with this.

often times too....changes may take a while to integrate...i saw someone post a few days ago how wonderful their wine was after three yrs of aging...they forgot a few bottles and found them and wow, they were impressed

its kind of like a child...they are one thing at age four...another at 17....and their fruit starts to show after they get older and or start to have a family

so consider that if the problem is close to border line that age will help

Al,
Does that mean if I let my wine age long enough, it will start having offspring bottles? That would be awesome! Are they the half bottles - that would be a cute little family of wine! I assume the children of reds are "blush" when they are young, right?
smiley17.gif

Bart

Al that was my post about the 3 year old wine. But Im guessing maybe you knew that......:). That thought came to my mind, but I never tasted this bitter taste. After finding those bottloes from a few years ago, I am in no rush to dring any of this wine. I am just hoping that this bitter taste goes away eventually.

Latest posts

Back