Mosti Mondiale First Kit MM VN Pinot Noir ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff H

Reaction score
Hey all,

OK - a question. First the setup: Saturday night 11:59 PM, I pitch the yeast, initial specific gravity was 1.080. 4 days 20 hours later I check the SP and it is 1.004 - yikes. Directions said to rack at 1.040 - 1.050. I added oak to carboy and racked, major fermentation going on (at least to my new eyes). OK here is the question...ready??? - do I have a problem?

Thanks for the help or reassurance. JeffEdited by: Jeff H

Youll be fine. Just remember to use your hydrometer as the directions are vague as far as days go because there are so many variables that can make a wine ferment faster or slower such as temps. If the temps are in the high range it will go much faster. Red wines will typically ferment at a faster rate but white wines usually have a lower starting SG so time frames can be close. Just have to keep a closer eye on it in the primary bucket. After that time is on your side and you can extend times and relax a little more. The only other time to not extend to much beyond what is written in the instructions is to get the wine off the added fining agent(Clarifier) as left on that too long will give it an off taste. relax, your wine is not harmed in any way.

Wade,

Thanks for the quick reply...damn it fermented fast in the primary...temp was 72 - 73 degrees the whole time...lesson learned. Once I closed the primary I thought I was doing good by letting it sit for a few days.

I'm not sure what you meant in the clarifier statement. Sorry I'm new at this. I know when I get down in the 0.996 range they recommend the Siligel and Liquigel. Then to let is sit for at least 8 - 10 days. So how does this correspond to what you wrote?

Another question, so what is the consequences of my inaction? In other words what happens if itferments too long in the primary? Thanks in advance for being so kind as to help guide me thru my first "crisis", lol.
smiley17.gif

Jeff

Edit:

P.S. - My primary is empty, hmmmm. I think I need to do something to correct this situation!Edited by: Jeff H

The early racking is to make sure the fermentation completes. As long as you get down to the .995 or less, no worries.

Hey George,

Interesting...You've got me thinking about the difference between a bucket and a carboy and the fermentation process. Thanks for the reassurance.

Jeff

Jeff,

The most important issue is whether or not it is still fermenting when you rack. If it is, the CO2 will build up in the secondary, protecting the wine from oxidation.

More or less time in the primary only makes a difference to the ferocity of the fermentation. If you rack too early then you might end up with a volcano. Also if you have oak chips or powder in the primary, you are best off following the directions to make sure you get the full oak flavor.

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing alot of reading tonight. I understand what is going on, at least at a rudimentary level, and I see that I'm ok. Plenty of CO2 is available.

I had my first volcano tonight when I was stirring the oak. I was prepared so it wasn'ta real mess. Unfortunatley I lost some of the oak in the eruption.
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back